See More on Facebook

Diplomacy, Economics

S. Korea open to settling spat with Japan over intel-sharing pact if relations improve

Intelligence sharing has been suspended since an economic spat between the two countries erupted several months ago.


Written by

Updated: November 11, 2019

President Moon Jae-in’s top security adviser reaffirmed Sunday that South Korea’s bilateral military intelligence-sharing pact with Japan could be renewed, as the expiration date draws near.

Chung Eui-yong, chief of Cheong Wa Dae’s National Security Office, laid the blame on Japan for the strained relations, which have sunk to their lowest point in decades.

“The government is willing to rethink an extension of the GSOMIA if South Korea-Japan relations normalize,” he said during a press briefing on Sunday, referring to the General Security of Military Information Agreement. The agreement drawn up in 2016 is renewed each year.

Chung said a termination of GSOMIA would have a limited impact on national security, as the bilateral exchange of military spy information will not be completely obstructed.

“I think the people will understand that (the government) cannot decide to extend the GSOMIA under current circumstances when Japan implemented export restrictions, citing that it has lost trust (toward Korea) in security cooperation,” he said.

The two Asian countries have not budged an inch on their respective positions regarding the renewal of the agreement, in order to gain the upper hand in their diplomatic and historical disputes.

Washington is seen as pressuring Seoul to maintain the defense pact for trilateral coordination among Seoul, Washington and Tokyo as it affects US security interests in the region in the face of North Korean military threats and China’s increasing assertiveness.

The South Korean government gave Tokyo the required three months’ notice on Aug. 23 that it would not renew the two countries’ military pact. The agreement is due to expire Nov. 23.

South Korea has maintained that it will consider reversing its decision to terminate the agreement only if Japan retracts its export restrictions on high-tech exports to South Korea and its decision to remove South Korea from its whitelist of trusted trading partners. The moves are seen as retaliation against South Korean Supreme Court rulings last year that ordered Japanese companies to pay compensations to South Korean victims of forced labor during Japan’s colonial rule over the Korean peninsula.

Seoul and Tokyo are taking different approaches on the GSOMIA issue and it appears to be hard for them to make concessions without a stronger justification than Washington’s pressure to keep the pact alive, said Lee Won-deog, a professor of Japanese studies at Kookmin University.

“The South Korean government wants to exchange the renewal of the GSOMIA with withdrawal of Japan’s trade curbs but what Japan wants is a resolution of the forced labor issue,” he said.

In recent weeks, the US and Japan have stressed the growing security challenges that the East Asian region faces.

The US Pentagon mentioned countering North Korea and other countries including China, Russia and Iran in a report released Nov. 4, calling this one of the top 10 challenges the US faces in 2020.

“North Korea also presents a dangerous threat to the United States and its allies. … North Korea may already be able to launch a nuclear weapon capable of reaching the United States,” the report read.

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who will travel to Seoul on Thursday, will also discuss the Seoul-Tokyo defense pact during his visit.

“It’s something that we would like to see resolved, so that all of us can focus on the biggest threats in the region, which is North Korea’s activities and then, the Chinese efforts to destabilize the region,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said during a briefing Thursday.

Esper is likely to discuss potential solutions for the fate of GSOMIA while attending the US-South Korea Security Consultative Meeting, which will take place Friday.

Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga asserted that Japan’s export restrictions and GSOMIA are two separate issues of different dimensions.

He said South Korea’s decision to end the pact “completely misjudges the region’s security landscape and is extremely disappointing.”

The two countries could make a last-ditch effort on the occasion of upcoming ministerial-level events set to take place before GSOMIA expires.

Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo and his Japanese counterpart, Taro Kono, are reportedly considering a bilateral meeting on the sidelines of the ASEAN Defense Ministers’ Meeting, which will take place in Thailand on Nov. 18.

Foreign Minister Kang and her Japanese counterpart, Toshimitsu Motegi, also may hold face-to-face talks on the issue on the margins of the G20 foreign ministers’ meeting in Nagoya on Nov. 22 and 23.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: ANN’s Board member Mr Zaffar Abbas, Editor of Pakistan’s Dawn has won the 2019 Gwen Ifill Press Freedom Award from the Committee to Protest Journalists.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy, Economics

10 dead in Delhi in violent protests against controversial citizenship law, in the midst of Trump’s visit

Witnesses said Delhi police, who were outnumbered, did little to stop the violence, mostly standing by while groups pelted each other with stones, and vandalised vehicles and property. At least 10 people, including a cop, have been killed in India’s capital city Delhi since Monday (Feb 24), in a worrying outbreak of communal violence between those protesting a controversial citizenship law and groups who oppose them. The violence, marked by arson and stone pelting, continued on Tuesday less than 20km from where Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump were holding talks. Even journalists reporting on the spot were attacked and forced to delete pictures and footage. More than 100 people have been injured, accordin


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

Malaysia political turmoil: Search for new government continues as King meets 132 MPs in second day of interviews

The unprecedented move for the King to interview MPs individually instead of meeting party leaders appears to be in line with Dr Mahathir’s plan to form a grand coalition across the political spectrum. The Yang di-Pertuan Agong continues the search for Malaysia’s new government on Wednesday (Feb 26) by interviewing 132 MPs to see whether they back interim premier Mahathir Mohamad to continue leading the country. This will complete interviews of all 222 parliamentarians after those from the opposition were asked on Tuesday who they wanted as prime minister, or if they preferred a snap election. Those heading to the palace on Wednesday are from the now collapsed Pakatan Harapan (PH) government. The Straits Times understands that those still in


By The Straits Times
February 26, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

Mahathir made caretaker PM after Malaysia’s King accepts his resignation

After his resignation, the ruling Pakatan Harapan (PH) coalition saw the departure of dozens of lawmakers that left it short of a majority in Parliament. Just hours after submitting his resignation to Malaysia’s King on Monday (Feb 24), Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad was made caretaker Prime Minister. The King accepted Tun Dr Mahathir’s resignation, but appointed him interim Prime Minister, Chief Secretary to the government Mohd Zuki Ali said in a statement. Dr Mahathir will continue to run the country’s administration until a new prime minister and Cabinet are appointed, he added. All ministerial appointments were also cancelled with effect from Monday as a result of the prime minister’s resignation, the chief secretary said in a separate state


By The Straits Times
February 25, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

Vietnamese advised to avoid travel to coronavirus-hit areas in South Korea, flights not banned yet

The Consular Department under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Vietnamese Embassy in South Korea has recommended Vietnamese citizens to avoid travel to areas affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and places vulnerable to the disease. The warning was made given the complex development of the COVID-19 in the RoK. Vietnamese citizens were also advised to keep a close watch and follow instructions of local agencies to prevent the illness. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has asked the Vietnamese Embassy in the RoK to work with local agencies to learn more about the situation, keep in touch with Vietnamese citizens in the country, establish a hotline and be ready to take protection measures when necessary. According to the embassy, as o


By Viet Nam News
February 24, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

Singdollar declines to near 3-year low on coronavirus fears

 Fall comes amid Asia-wide forex sell-off after South Korea infection spike, two deaths in Japan. The Singapore dollar fell along with most Asian currencies on concerns over the coronavirus outbreak. The local currency fell to its lowest level against the United States dollar since May 2017 at one point yesterday, before recouping some of the losses. It slid about 1 per cent to as low as S$1.4083 to the greenback, before paring losses to trade 0.3 per cent lower. South Korea’s won sank more than 1 per cent to 1,201.95 to the dollar. The baht, the most sensitive in Asia to tourism, dropped 0.7 per cent to 31.406 to the dollar. The sell-off in the region’s foreign exchange (FX) markets followed a spike in confirmed infections in South


By The Straits Times
February 21, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

China revokes press cards of 3 WSJ journalists in Beijing

According to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang, the press cards of three Wall Street Journal journalists who are based in Beijing will be revoked from Wednesday. The press cards of three Wall Street Journal journalists who are based in Beijing will be revoked from Wednesday, according to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang. “The Chinese people do not welcome media that use racially discriminatory languages and maliciously slander and attack China,” Geng told an online press briefing Wednesday. On Feb 3, the Wall Street Journal published an article titled “China Is the Real Sick Man of Asia” by Professor Walter Russell Mead of the Bard College, which smeared the efforts of the Chinese government and p


By China Daily
February 20, 2020