See More on Facebook

Diplomacy, Economics

Uncertainty persists on US – China trade deal

This despite Trump’s comments that US and China close to trade deal.


Written by

Updated: November 13, 2019

US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (Nov 12) that the United States and China are close to a trade deal, but made clear that the prospect of tariffs was still on the table, with a warning that the US would raise tariffs on China if no trade deal was reached.

His speech at the Economic Club of New York was closely watched by Wall Street but offered no new details on any signing of a much-touted “Phase One” preliminary trade deal with China.

China, said President Trump, was dying to make a deal with their “supply chains cracking very badly” almost two years into the trade war.

“We’re the ones deciding whether or not we want to make a deal. We’re close. A significant Phase One deal with China could happen, could happen soon,” he said, but added that he would accept only a deal that was good for American workers and companies.

“If we don’t make a deal, we’re going to substantially raise those tariffs,” he said. “That’s going to be true for every other country that will mistreat us too, because we’ve been mistreated by so many countries.”

Top White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow later told CNBC that he had no further details on the timing of the trade deal, saying: “I wouldn’t put a timetable on it. Close means close.

“You’re not going to have one side or the other agree to any tariff adjustments until the entire deal is put together,” he said. “Since there’s no formal agreement, we can’t say whether there’ll be any tariff adjustments at all.”

Markets barely moved after Mr Trump’s speech, which left trade watchers no clearer about how near the US and China were to a deal.

Former acting deputy US trade representative Wendy Cutler said that while Mr Trump’s comments that the two sides were close to a deal was encouraging, she was not sure she agreed with his statement that China was “dying for a deal”.

Said Ms Cutler: “He casts this negotiation as one where the US has all the leverage, while China’s economy is on a downward spiral. I suspect that China believes it has the upper hand in the talks, given political developments in the US and the upcoming election.”

She added: “These conflicting perceptions are undoubtedly complicating the ability of both sides to close the deal. Being close to a deal is no guarantee for a deal getting done.”

In an early indication of reactions from Beijing, Mr Hu Xijin, the editor-in-chief of the Global Times state-owned tabloid, wrote on Twitter that Mr Trump’s speech contained nothing new.

“Quite a lot of criticisms and complaints about China from President Trump in his latest speech, but hardly anything new. Similar statements of senior US officials have bored people. It seems this US administration really believes a lie repeated a thousand times becomes truth,” Mr Hu tweeted on Tuesday.

The easing of punitive tariffs has emerged as a point of contention, with China announcing last week that it had agreed with the US to cancel tariffs on each other’s goods in phases, followed by Mr Trump’s denial that he had so far agreed to roll back any tariffs.

Peterson Institute for International Economics senior fellow Gary Hufbauer said that one reason Mr Trump gave no details was that US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and China’s Vice-Premier Liu He were still haggling over the terms of tariff reductions, including whether to postpone the upcoming Dec 15 tranche of tariffs on US$160 billion (S$218 billion) of Chinese imports.

Both leaders need an agreement, he said, adding: “Without an agreement, we will see a drop in the stock market and negative comments on the whole global economic situation looking more sour, and that will not look good for Trump.”

Mr Trump’s speech showcased key pillars of his presidential campaign, as he hailed the country’s strong economic growth, job gains and robust manufacturing sector under his presidency.

He also took aim at the Federal Reserve’s monetary policy decisions that have left US interest rates higher than many other economies, and said he would prefer negative rates.

“Remember we are actively competing with nations that openly cut interest rates so that many are now actually getting paid when they pay off their loan, known as negative interest. Who ever heard of such a thing?”

But farmers, many of whom helped Mr Trump swing states in the Midwest in the 2016 election, are not doing well, given the low prices of commodities such as corn, cotton and soybeans.

The US is also pushing China to commit to large purchases of agricultural goods at a defined time, which would lift the prices of these commodities, said Dr Hufbauer.

“Farmers are really hurting,” he said. “An uplift in prices is what they’re looking for, and they want it right now. They certainly want it before the 2020 election.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy, Economics

10 dead in Delhi in violent protests against controversial citizenship law, in the midst of Trump’s visit

Witnesses said Delhi police, who were outnumbered, did little to stop the violence, mostly standing by while groups pelted each other with stones, and vandalised vehicles and property. At least 10 people, including a cop, have been killed in India’s capital city Delhi since Monday (Feb 24), in a worrying outbreak of communal violence between those protesting a controversial citizenship law and groups who oppose them. The violence, marked by arson and stone pelting, continued on Tuesday less than 20km from where Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump were holding talks. Even journalists reporting on the spot were attacked and forced to delete pictures and footage. More than 100 people have been injured, accordin


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

Malaysia political turmoil: Search for new government continues as King meets 132 MPs in second day of interviews

The unprecedented move for the King to interview MPs individually instead of meeting party leaders appears to be in line with Dr Mahathir’s plan to form a grand coalition across the political spectrum. The Yang di-Pertuan Agong continues the search for Malaysia’s new government on Wednesday (Feb 26) by interviewing 132 MPs to see whether they back interim premier Mahathir Mohamad to continue leading the country. This will complete interviews of all 222 parliamentarians after those from the opposition were asked on Tuesday who they wanted as prime minister, or if they preferred a snap election. Those heading to the palace on Wednesday are from the now collapsed Pakatan Harapan (PH) government. The Straits Times understands that those still in


By The Straits Times
February 26, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

Mahathir made caretaker PM after Malaysia’s King accepts his resignation

After his resignation, the ruling Pakatan Harapan (PH) coalition saw the departure of dozens of lawmakers that left it short of a majority in Parliament. Just hours after submitting his resignation to Malaysia’s King on Monday (Feb 24), Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad was made caretaker Prime Minister. The King accepted Tun Dr Mahathir’s resignation, but appointed him interim Prime Minister, Chief Secretary to the government Mohd Zuki Ali said in a statement. Dr Mahathir will continue to run the country’s administration until a new prime minister and Cabinet are appointed, he added. All ministerial appointments were also cancelled with effect from Monday as a result of the prime minister’s resignation, the chief secretary said in a separate state


By The Straits Times
February 25, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

Vietnamese advised to avoid travel to coronavirus-hit areas in South Korea, flights not banned yet

The Consular Department under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Vietnamese Embassy in South Korea has recommended Vietnamese citizens to avoid travel to areas affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and places vulnerable to the disease. The warning was made given the complex development of the COVID-19 in the RoK. Vietnamese citizens were also advised to keep a close watch and follow instructions of local agencies to prevent the illness. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has asked the Vietnamese Embassy in the RoK to work with local agencies to learn more about the situation, keep in touch with Vietnamese citizens in the country, establish a hotline and be ready to take protection measures when necessary. According to the embassy, as o


By Viet Nam News
February 24, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

Singdollar declines to near 3-year low on coronavirus fears

 Fall comes amid Asia-wide forex sell-off after South Korea infection spike, two deaths in Japan. The Singapore dollar fell along with most Asian currencies on concerns over the coronavirus outbreak. The local currency fell to its lowest level against the United States dollar since May 2017 at one point yesterday, before recouping some of the losses. It slid about 1 per cent to as low as S$1.4083 to the greenback, before paring losses to trade 0.3 per cent lower. South Korea’s won sank more than 1 per cent to 1,201.95 to the dollar. The baht, the most sensitive in Asia to tourism, dropped 0.7 per cent to 31.406 to the dollar. The sell-off in the region’s foreign exchange (FX) markets followed a spike in confirmed infections in South


By The Straits Times
February 21, 2020

Diplomacy, Economics

China revokes press cards of 3 WSJ journalists in Beijing

According to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang, the press cards of three Wall Street Journal journalists who are based in Beijing will be revoked from Wednesday. The press cards of three Wall Street Journal journalists who are based in Beijing will be revoked from Wednesday, according to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang. “The Chinese people do not welcome media that use racially discriminatory languages and maliciously slander and attack China,” Geng told an online press briefing Wednesday. On Feb 3, the Wall Street Journal published an article titled “China Is the Real Sick Man of Asia” by Professor Walter Russell Mead of the Bard College, which smeared the efforts of the Chinese government and p


By China Daily
February 20, 2020