See More on Facebook

Diplomacy

N. Korea rejects nuclear talks before US withdraws hostile policy

The US and South Korea have suspended a joint air drill to appease Pyongyang.


Written by

Updated: November 19, 2019

North Korea said Tuesday it has no interest in denuclearization negotiations with the United States unless Washington drops its “hostile” policy.

Kim Yong-chol, who formerly led the negotiations as US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s counterpart, issued the statement in response to Sunday’s decision by South Korea and the US to postpone military exercises in support of diplomatic efforts to denuclearize the North.

“What we are demanding from the US is that it withdraw from combined military exercises with South Korea or completely stop the exercises,” Kim, a vice chairman of the ruling Workers’ Party’s Central Committee, said in the statement carried by the North’s Korean Central News Agency.

“Postponing the combined military exercises does not guarantee peace and security on the Korean Peninsula, nor does it help diplomatic efforts to solve the problem,” he said.

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper had earlier called the decision an act of goodwill and urged the North to return to denuclearization talks without hesitation.

“The US should not even dream of denuclearization negotiations before it withdraws its hostile policy against the DPRK,” Kim said in the Korean-language statement. DPRK stands for North Korea’s official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

“It is not about jointly discussing the issues of improving DPRK-US relations and establishing a peace regime within the framework of denuclearization negotiations,” Kim continued. “Only after trust is established between the DPRK and the US, and all the threats hindering our security and development are completely removed, can we discuss the denuclearization issue.”

Taking issue with the US’s participation in last week’s United Nations resolution condemning the North’s human rights abuses, the official also questioned Washington’s sincerity about talks.

Kim’s statement came only hours after another North Korean official, Kim Kye-gwan, made similar remarks, saying Pyongyang is no longer interested in talks that “bring nothing to us.”

“As we have got nothing in return, we will no longer gift the US president with something he can boast of, but get compensation for the successes that President Trump is proud of as his administrative achievements,” the adviser to the North Korean foreign ministry said in a statement also carried by KCNA.

Both Kim Yong-chol and Kim Kye-gwan have previous experience in denuclearization negotiations.

Kim Kye-gwan was apparently referring to US President Donald Trump’s repeated claims that he averted war with North Korea by holding three meetings with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and securing a suspension of the regime’s nuclear weapons and long-range missile tests.

The back-to-back statements come as the North Korean leader’s self-imposed end-of-year deadline for negotiations draws near.

Pyongyang has warned that it will seek a “new way” unless Washington comes up with an acceptable proposal by the year-end.

The North has advocated a piecemeal deal under which it would receive sanctions relief and security guarantees in exchange for each denuclearization step.

Trump urged Kim on Sunday to “act quickly” and “get the deal done.”

“I am the only one who can get you where you have to be,” the US president tweeted, adding, “See you soon!”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: ANN’s current Chairman is Mr Warren Fernandez, who is also Editor-in-Chief of The Straits Times, Singapore. He is the current President of the World Editors Forum.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Diplomacy

China’s coronavirus fight remains challenging

 Key Party meeting calls for full vigilance in control, prevention tasks to avoid risks. The novel coronavirus epidemic in Hubei province is still complicated and challenging, a key Party meeting concluded on Wednesday as it drew attention to the risks of the epidemic rebounding in other areas. Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, presided over the meeting of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee in which members listened to a report by the leading group of the CPC Central Committee on coping with the epidemic outbreak and discussed key related tasks. At the meeting, Xi and other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee donate


By China Daily
February 27, 2020

Diplomacy

UN chief hails China’s efforts to contain outbreak

Official urges all countries to ‘do everything to be prepared’ to contain the epidemic. United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday praised China’s contribution to the global fight against the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak, noting that the Chinese people are making efforts for all of humanity. The UN chief expressed his gratitude to all of the people in China who are sacrificing many aspects of their normal lives to prevent the virus from further spreading, after discussing the outbreak with World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus in Geneva. Guterres said the decline in the number of new cases in China since the beginning of February is a very good sign, and he expressed the hope that this trend


By China Daily
February 26, 2020

Diplomacy

WHO calls China’s anti-virus effort ‘aggressive, agile’

Control measures taken by the country offered experience in improving the global response to the disease. While the substantial recent slowdown in the spread of novel coronavirus in China is real, and it is now reasonable to restore work activities step by step, health experts warned that risks abound of the virus flaring up again and they cautioned against complacency, the WHO-China Joint Mission on COVID-19 said at a news conference after its one-week field investigations in China. “Ambitious, agile and aggressive” control measures taken by China to control the novel coronavirus pneumonia epidemic, bolstered by nationwide solidarity and advanced scientific research, have altered the curve of the outbreak for the better, averted a large number of potentia


By China Daily
February 25, 2020

Diplomacy

Map shows latest tally of Covid-19 cases in Taiwan, Taipei tops list

 After Taiwan reported its first confirmed cases, health authorities finally released on Monday the latest tally of Covid-19 cases in each administrative region, with Taipei being the highest.  More than one month after Taiwan reported its first confirmed cases, health authorities finally released on Monday the latest tally of COVID-19 cases in each administrative region, with Taipei being the highest. An interactive map on the website of Taiwan Centers for Disease Control (CDC) shows the cities and counties where the country’s 28 coronavirus patients currently reside. Marked in red, the capital city has listed sev


By Asia News Network
February 24, 2020

Diplomacy

Asean, China enhance cooperation in response to Covid-19

The Asean Coordinating Council (ACC) and the Asean-China Foreign Ministers met on Thursday in Laos to discuss to how to respond to the coronavirus disease (Covid-19). The ACC’s special meeting, initiated by Vietnam as Chair of ASEAN, was attended by the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN member countries and the ASEAN Secretary-General. Chairing the meeting, Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh said the event aimed to implement the ASEAN Chair’s Statement released on February 14 on the bloc’s collective response to COVID-19. Minh said that in the face of the epidemic, ASEAN needed to promote its cohesive and responsive spirit, and intensify co-operation within the bloc and between the bloc and its partners to respond to ch


By Viet Nam News
February 21, 2020

Diplomacy

EDITORIAL: China’s foreign minister to attend special meeting with Asean on virus

China’s State Councillor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi will attend a special Asean-China foreign ministers’ meeting in Laos this week to discuss the coronavirus outbreak. China’s State Councillor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi will attend a special Asean-China foreign ministers’ meeting in Laos this week to discuss the coronavirus outbreak, which has battered manufacturing and tourism across the region and led to an array of travel restrictions. Mr Wang will co-chair the meeting with Foreign Secretary Teodoro Lopez Locsin from the Philippines, which is the Asean-China country coordinator, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang announced yesterday. The event on Thursday in Vientiane will be attended by other foreign ministers


By The Straits Times
February 20, 2020