See More on Facebook

Culture and society, Politics

What is Oplan Tokhang and why is it in the news?

A particular phrase has popped up a number of times in news from the Philippines in the past several days that is probably a mystery to much of the world.


Written by

Updated: November 20, 2019

That phrase is Oplan Tokhang, a concept that is directly related to the country’s drug war. Discussions around this idea will be something to keep an eye on in the coming weeks and months.

What is Oplan Tokhang?

First, what does it mean? The word tokhang, is a made-up portmanteau of the local words for knock (tok) and plead (hangyo) and describes police operations that were launched by the Duterte administration in July of 2016 that involved officers going door to door to root out drug-related offenders.

The phrase has become synonymous with the Duterte administration’s notoriously brutal war on drugs, with the word tokhang becoming directly associated with the killings related to the policy. The controversial policy has been suspended twice in its history—both in 2017.

Officially, the Philippine National Police admit that 6,500 people have been killed by officers in operations related to the drug war since the launch of the policy. Rights groups, however, argue that the scale of the killings may be much larger.

Human Rights Watch, for example points out that the exact number of fatalities may be impossible to determine since the government has failed to disclose documentation about its drug war. The group, however, estimates that the death toll could be as high as 23,983—a figure that takes into account the “homicides under investigation.”

These killings, unsurprisingly, have drawn international attention to the tactics used by the Duterte administration. In July of this year, the United Nations Human Rights Council adopted a resolution to prepare a report on the situation in the Philippines, particularly related to the war on drugs. Scrutiny from the International Criminal Court of the drug war earlier this year led to a withdrawal of the Philippines from that body by the Duterte administration.

Why is Oplan Tokhang in the news now?

Oplan Tokhang is in the news these days because of Philippine Vice President opposition politician Leni Robredo. Robredo has long been a vocal critic of the policy.

In late October of this year, Robredo sat for an interview with Reuters in which she criticized the policy for overwhelmingly targeted the poor rather than big drugs networks, for creating a culture of police impunity, and for simply not working.

“We ask ourselves, ‘why is this still happening?’. The president has already made very serious threats to drug syndicates, to drug lords … and yet it’s still very prevalent, so obviously, it’s not working,” Robredo told Reuters.

Duterte’s response to that interview was essentially, if you think you can do better, give it a try yourself. Six days after Robredo’s conversation with Reuters was published, Duterte said he would give Robredo “full powers” over the government’s drug policies for 6 months and see what she could do. And, one week after that, on November 6, Robredo accepted the offer, officially becoming the Philippines’ new drug czar.

Almost immediately, Robredo called for the scrapping of Oplan Tokhang, labeling the deaths that have been linked to the policy as “senseless killings” and called the operation a “war against the poor.”

Robredo has indicated that in place of the brutal policies that have defined the drug war under Duterte, she would put forward a public health-oriented strategy, and that she’ll be looking for recommendations and best practices from the international community about how to do so.

What should you look out for?

Robredo has said that she is hopeful about what her new role could mean for the country’s drug policies.

“I want to look at it as a signal that the president is open to listen to fresh perspectives about the entire campaign,” Robredo said in her first meeting in charge of a task force on narcotics.

Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo has said that President Duterte will give Robredo “everything” to help her fight illegal drugs, adding that the Vice President has “free rein” as co-chair of the Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs.

The VP’s supporters, however, have been less optimistic, expressing concerns that the new position is a trap set up for Robredo to fail publicly.

One sign of trouble between Robredo and Duterte on the drug front has already made headlines. Duterte announced publicly that Robredo would be removed from this position if she were to share state secrets with foreign individuals or entities—presumably a reference to ongoing drug war-related investigations by the United Nations and the International Criminal Court.

 

 



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: ANN’s Board representative Mr Zhou Li, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher of China Daily Asia Pacific based in Hong Kong, was recently appointed Deputy Editor-in-Chief of China Daily Group

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Culture and society, Politics

China pledges international pandemic aid

 Producers of medical goods urged to meet demand from affected countries. China has pledged to do its best to offer aid to countries and international organisations affected by COVID-19 to help contain the outbreak, and businesses are being urged to boost production of epidemic prevention materials to meet demand from abroad. The announcement was made at a meeting of the leading group of China’s coronavirus response, chaired by Premier Li Keqiang on Thursday. Relevant departments and local authorities must step up co-ordination to closely monitor and analyse the quick spread of the outbreak outside China and roll out more targeted measures to prevent the import and export of infection, the group said in a statement. It is important to further


By China Daily
March 13, 2020

Culture and society, Politics

Back to work in Beijing, with tough measures in place

 Mandatory quarantine for those coming from overseas; some Wuhan businesses may reopen. As most of China attempts to return to normalcy after an extensive lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the capital Beijing has been carefully trying to strike a balance between having people restart work while also trying to keep out imported infections, and yesterday ordered a mandatory quarantine for all international arrivals. This comes as the Hubei government announced that some businesses in Wuhan, the outbreak’s epicentre, would gradually be allowed to reopen. On Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping visited Wuhan, his first visit to the city since the outbreak, a sign that the crisis could finally be easing after the government’s toug


By The Straits Times
March 12, 2020

Culture and society, Politics

Xi vows victory over coronavirus in Wuhan

President expresses condolences to families of people who died in epidemic. President Xi Jinping said on Tuesday that prevention and control of the novel coronavirus outbreak remains the top priority and most important task, even amid the recent positive signs. Xi, who is also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, made the remark during his inspection tour in the outbreak’s epicentre, Wuhan, capital of Hubei province. The spread of the novel coronavirus has been basically curbed in Hubei and Wuhan, Xi said, adding that initial success has been made in stabilising the situation and turning the tide in Hubei and Wuhan. Xi encouraged local residents and front-line worke


By China Daily
March 11, 2020

Culture and society, Politics

China sets example in fighting virus

Epidemic reveals inadequacies in global governance; Beijing says it’s ready to help. China’s response to novel coronavirus pneumonia has set an example for the world in coping with the contagion and offered experience in advancing global public health governance, officials and experts said. The COVID-19 outbreak has also raised the alarm about global public health security and reminded countries that co-operation and co-ordination are needed to deal with challenges as infectious diseases can rapidly escalate into global emergencies, they said. There is a growing positive momentum in epidemic control nationwide thanks to the “comprehensive, thorough and rigorous” measures that China has taken to contain the virus, they said, noting that the daily


By China Daily
March 10, 2020

Culture and society, Politics

More than 800,000 people return Beijing under quarantine

“There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. About 827,000 people who came back to Beijing from outside the city are still in a 14-day quarantine to see if they had been infected with the novel coronavirus, an official said on Friday. “There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. Z


By China Daily
March 9, 2020

Culture and society, Politics

South Korea declares third city as special care zone as cases spike

President Moon receives letter of support from North Korean leader as infected cases cross 6,000. South Korea has declared a third city a “special care zone” to boost its capability to fight a spike in coronavirus infections, with cases nationwide soaring beyond 6,000. The death toll stands at 42, mostly the elderly with underlying health conditions, while 88 people have recovered, including 47 discharged yesterday. The care zone announcement came as the presidential Blue House revealed that South Korean President Moon Jae-in received a letter on Wednesday from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expressing support and comfort to the people battling the coronavirus outbreak, adding that he is confident they will “prevail in this fight wit


By The Straits Times
March 6, 2020