See More on Facebook

Business

Huawei to match Google’s mobile services by Q1 2020

The company to support more Android apps on its phones.


Written by

Updated: November 21, 2019

Huawei may soon be able to offer Android developers a full range of the essential mobile services required for their apps as the ones provided by Google.

This would allow more Android apps to work on new Huawei phones affected by a ban that forbids the use of Google mobile services on these handsets.

Mr Zhang Ping’an, president of Huawei Consumer Cloud Service told The Straits Times in an interview at Huawei’s Asia-Pacific Developer Day last Wednesday (Nov 13) that Huawei Mobile Services can “replace 90 per cent of Google Mobile Services by December”.

These mobile services from Google and Huawei are used by developers to enable key functions in their mobile apps to, for instance, show a location on a map or to save data to the cloud.

Currently, there are 24 software kits in Huawei Mobile Services to help developers with functions such as in-app purchases, mapping, displaying advertisements and more.

Mr Zhang added that the Chinese smartphone maker will have all the essential application programming interfaces (APIs) – required by developers to make their apps work – by the next quarter.

Huawei has had to build up its own mobile services due to a United States government ban in May that forbids American firms from doing business with the firm. The ban means that Huawei cannot integrate Google’s apps and services in its latest smartphones.

The flagship Mate 30 series smartphones are the first Huawei phones to be affected by the US ban.

Despite this, Huawei officially launched the Mate 30 series in Singapore last Saturday. The phones are available now from retailers and telcos M1 and StarHub.

Instead of Google apps and services, the Mate 30 phones uses Huawei’s equivalent apps and services in Huawei Mobile Services, like a Web browser and an app store dubbed AppGallery.

At the Asia-Pacific Huawei Developer Day conference, which was attended by over 150 industry partners from the region, Huawei also said that Mate 30 users are eligible for 5GB of free cloud storage from Huawei’s cloud service, which can be used to store photos, contacts and other documents.

The free cloud storage mitigates Mate 30 users’ lack of access to Google’s free cloud service that is available to other Android smartphone users.

Without the Google Play Store, Mate 30 users have to use Huawei’s AppGallery app store to download their apps. According to Huawei, the AppGallery is now the third-largest app store in the world with a reach of over 170 countries and around 390 million monthly active users.

As part of its strategy to encourage more developers to publish their apps in its app store, Huawei has set aside a US$1 billion (S$1.36 billion) fund to help developers build apps that integrate with Huawei Mobile Services, as well as to publish and market the apps in its app store.

Developers are also levied 15 per cent by Huawei for purchases made by users in AppGallery compared with 30 per cent for Google’s app store.

There are now over 50,000 apps that already use Huawei Mobile Services, up from around 23,000 last year, said Huawei.

Several of these apps are by Singapore-based firms, such as telcos M1 and StarHub, online platforms Lazada and Carousell, as well as news apps from The Straits Times’ parent company Singapore Press Holdings.

Mr Ross Veitch, chief executive and co-founder of Singapore-based online travel marketplace Wego, said that the process of porting the Wego app to use Huawei Mobile Services was “relatively easy as we got most of it done in half a day.”

The same Wego app supports both Google’s and Huawei’s mobile services and the app detects which mobile service is available on a user’s device and automatically switch to using the appropriate one, said Mr Veitch.

He added that other developers would probably take a similar approach as supporting both mobile services does not significantly increase the size of the app.

“End users don’t have to worry about app support. Huawei is such a big player on the global stage – they are the second-largest smartphone maker. It would be silly not to support them,” he said.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Business

Huawei asks US court to overturn ban

The company is suing the FCC, the latest in a series of legal tussles. The legal battle between Huawei Technologies Co and United States government intensified on Thursday. The Chinese tech heavyweight announced a legal challenge to the US Federal Communications Commission, seeking to overturn the latter’s order that bans telecom carriers from buying the company’s equipment via federal subsidies. The move is the latest push by the world’s largest telecom equipment maker to pursue fair competition and treatment amid a slate of restrictions from Washington. Analysts said the FCC ban would have very limited impact on Huawei’s financial performance, but labeling the company as a national security threat would cause far-reaching reputational harm. In a petition filed in the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit on Thursday, Huawei asked the court to declare the FCC order un


By China Daily
December 6, 2019

Business

Chinese FM to visit India this month for boundary talks

The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi is expected to visit India later this month to hold boundary talks with National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, sources said on Wednesday. Wang, who is also a State Councillor, and Doval are the designated Special Representatives (SRs) of the two countries for the boundary talks. The talks were to be held in September but had to be postponed as the two sides could not find a suitable date for the meeting. Besides holding boundary talks with the NSA, Wang, a trusted lieutenant of Chinese President Xi Jinping, will meet External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar. He will also call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.


By The Statesman
December 5, 2019

Business

Najib to take the stand today

The former premier is accused of malfeasance. Today is the day that Malaysians will see, for the first in the country’s history, a former prime minister take the stand to answer charges against him in a court of law. Datuk Seri Najib Razak (pic), 66, will testify from the witness box as the first defence witness to rebut his seven charges of misappropriating RM42mil in SRC International Sdn Bhd funds before High Court Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali. According to his co-counsel Harvinderjit Singh, Najib will be called as the first witness on the opening day of the defence’s proceedings. Najib will be first questioned by his defence during examination-in-chief before being cross-examined by the prosecution. On Nov 11, Justice Mohd Nazlan ordered Najib to enter his defence on three counts of criminal breach of trust (CBT), three charges of money laundering and on


By The Star
December 3, 2019

Business

Is Vietnam an attractive place for Samsung chip plant?

The tech giant already has manufacturing plants in the country. Is Vietnam a good place for chipmakers to consider building a high-tech plant? In light of a request by the Vietnamese head of state to Samsung Electronics, the world’s largest chipmaker, many in South Korea are asking whether it is a viable business move. In a private meeting held in Seoul on Thursday, Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc asked Samsung Electronics Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong to consider building a chip manufacturing facility there. The Korean tech giant already has production plants for mobile phones and other IT devices in the country. Following the re


By The Korea Herald
December 2, 2019

Business

Hundreds in Hong Kong hail Trump’s endorsement of Bills while pro-Beijing camp sees red

The US made into law a bill supporting pro-democracy demonstrators in Hong Kong. Hundreds gathered in Hong Kong’s Central financial district on Thursday night (Nov 28) to celebrate the signing of a Bill in the United States that supports the city’s pro-democracy protesters. Some participants waved American flags while the crowd shouted slogans like “fight for freedom, stand with Hong Kong”. Prominent activist Joshua Wong, who lobbied for the new US laws, said it was a “remarkable achievement” that human rights triumphed over crucial US-China trade talks. He said he hoped more countries would set up similar mechanisms to sanction Hong Kong officials who undermine the city’s freedoms. “Now is t


By The Straits Times
November 29, 2019

Business

Trump believed war with NK could have killed 100m people

The president has made his overtures to Pyongyang a major part of his foreign policy. US President Donald Trump estimated that as many as 100 million people could have been killed had the United States gone to war with North Korea under the previous administration of President Barack Obama, according to a new book based on interviews with the president. Trump’s comment came during a January 2019 meeting at the White House with Doug Wead, a New York Times bestselling author and former adviser to two American presidents, whose book, “Inside Trump’s White House: The Real Story of His Presidency,” was published Tuesday. During that conversation, Wead wrote, Trump reiterated his belief that Obama would have gone to war with the North had he stayed in office. “And I also think that thirty to one hundred million people could have been killed,” Wead quoted the presiden


By The Korea Herald
November 27, 2019