See More on Facebook

Politics

Duterte fires Robredo as drug czar

President Rodrigo Duterte took offense at the “taunt” of Vice President Leni Robredo challenging him to just fire her if he didn’t want her on the government’s counternarcotics body.


Written by

Updated: November 25, 2019

BUSAN — President Rodrigo Duterte took offense at the “taunt” of Vice President Leni Robredo challenging him to just fire her if he didn’t want her on the government’s counternarcotics body, presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo told reporters here late Sunday.

“In effect that was what she was saying, ‘Fire me if you don’t want me.’ In effect, that’s what she was saying… You don’t say that to your boss who is the President of the Philippines,” he said at a hastily called press briefing to explain why Duterte fired Robredo as cochair of the Inter-Agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs.

Apology clarified

Panelo said Duterte told him about his decision at past 8 p.m. (Manila time) on Sunday after clarifying with him his previous apology for believing false reports that Robredo had invited a critic of the drug war who had recommended the President’s arrest.

“He said ‘I’m not only apologizing, I’m firing her. And I said, ‘when?’ [He replied] ‘now,’ and I asked him if I could announce it. ‘That would be my departure statement,’” he said.

Duterte was scheduled to arrive here on Sunday to attend the 2019 Asean-Republic of Korea Commemorative Summit.

Panelo said the President cited other “missteps” by Robredo in deciding to sack her, including her supposed failure to present a program of action in her new role as co-chair of the interagency ommittee on narcotics in the three weeks she was in office.

“The Vice President has [committed] many missteps. Instead of performing her task, the scope of which is outlined in an executive order creating [the committee], she instead opted to talk to foreign nationals, like the US and the United Nations and others who have prejudged the government’s campaign against illegal drugs,” he said.

“All she had to do was present a new program of government with respect to the program on illegal drugs, which means a program that’s better than the one she has criticized as a failure or ineffective, but she failed to do that,” Panelo said.

“But more than two weeks has passed she has yet to present a program,” he said.

But when asked whether the President had read at least two reports with recommendations submitted by Robredo in recent weeks, Panelo admitted that Duterte had not found time to do so.

He deflected reporters’ questions challenging the Palace line that Robredo didn’t have policy recommendations or performed terribly.

“She should have gone to the ground, she should have gone to local communities, asked the people there about their problems instead of talking with foreign institutions which have no firsthand knowledge,” Panelo said.

He dismissed suggestions by critics that the timing of Robredo’s firing suspiciously coincided with the flak received by the organizers of the 2019 Southeast Asian Games.

“The hosting of the SEA Games is only limited to the cauldron issue. And majority of Filipinos are criticizing the opposition or that person for criticizing the making of the cauldron by a national artist,” he said.

“There is unanimity of opinion that the criticism is without basis. We already issued a statement on that and the SEA Games organizer had apologized already,” Panelo said.

In a statement issued earlier on Sunday night, Panelo said: “Essentially, what the Vice President has done is to embarrass our country, apart from detrimentally undermining the government’s efforts to preserve the general welfare.”

He said Robredo had wasted the chance for her to improve the war on drugs, which the administration and the political opposition could have fought together.

“Unfortunately, she wasted such opportunity and used the same as a platform to attack the methods undertaken by this administration. Such tack was even motivated by hubris to prove their past arguments against the anti-illegal drug operations were correct,” Panelo said.

“It at once crumbled as her request for police data validated the falsity of their arguments that the extrajudicial killings are state-sponsored,” he said.

There was no immediate comment from the Office of the Vice President.

‘Robredo won’

Sen. Panfilo Lacson, an adviser to Robredo on the war on drugs, said Duterte’s action was expected. 

“Ho-hum. [It’s] not shocking, not surprising, not unexpected,” Lacson said in a text message.

“[It’s] actually boring. A lot of small letter zzzzzzzzz,” he added.

Senators Francis Pangilinan and Risa Hontiveros said Duterte’s strategy to discredit the Vice President blew up in his face.

“When Vice President Robredo called their bluff, they got snared in their own trap. The Duterte government blinked and lost. Vice President Robredo won,” Hontiveros said in a statement.

“The appointment and the eventual firing of [the Vice President] . . . proved what we have been saying all along: Both the war on drugs and the appointment of the Vice President as [cochair of the interagency committee on drugs] are bluff and bluster,” Pangilinan said in a separate statement.

Duterte appointed Robredo to the counternarcotics committee on Oct. 28, after she had angered him with her criticism of the brutal campaign in an interview with the news agency Reuters.

Against the advice of her allies in the political opposition, Robredo accepted Duterte’s offer six days later and started to work by meeting with members of the committee, requesting access to the list of the government’s high-value targets in the illegal drug trade.

Law-enforcement members of the committee objected, saying the information was classified.

Panelo said in his statement on Sunday that Robredo’s request could not “be given the benefit of the doubt as being free from malice or manipulation.”

Duterte on Tuesday night told a news conference that he had changed his mind about making Robredo a Cabinet member because she was “talkative” and that she might leak sensitive information. 

Earlier, Malacañang, after describing her meetings with US and UN officials and several organizations as “educational,” cited “missteps” by Robredo, including meeting with foreigners and “enemies of the state” who had prejudged the war on drugs.

Duterte also said he could not trust Robredo because she was the leader of the political opposition and that he did not really know her.

On Wednesday, Robredo said that if Duterte wanted her out of the interagency committee, all he needed to do was tell her.

“He should be direct with me [if he wants me out]. I’m a straight talker. If he does not want me here in the first place, why did he designate me? If he does not want me here anymore … and wants to take back the appointment, he should just say the word,” she told reporters.

In Davao on Saturday, Duterte told reporters that he could “never” trust Robredo because she belonged to the opposition Liberal Party.

“There can never be trust that can be nurtured between the two of us, for the simple reason that Leni Robredo is with the opposition and I’m on the other side,” he said.

He also claimed he had not seen Robredo perform her duties as co-chair of the interagency committee on narcotics nearly a month after he had appointed her to the post.

“Insofar as what she is doing now, that is not very clear to me … We all have our own assessment. For me, she has not really worked,” Duterte said.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Philippine Daily Inquirer
About the Author: The Philippine Daily Inquirer is one the country’s most credible and influential newspapers with over 500 awards and citations.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Politics

Rohingya Crisis Fallout

Transparency International Bangladesh has painted a grim outlook for the crisis. Bangladesh faces long-term financial, political and security challenges as Rohingya repatriation may not happen anytime soon, said Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB) Executive Director Dr Iftekharuzzaman. The fund from the international community for nearly one million Rohingyas may not sustain as no strong international initiative has been taken to oblige Myanmar for creating a conducive environment for the refugees to return soon, he said. “As a result, Bangladesh’s socio-economic instability will grow. There are risks of security at local and national levels. The crisis also creates political and diplomatic challenges for the government,” Iftekharuzzaman said. It also involves the risks of growing extremism as the people who face violence are more likely to become violent, he said at a press confere


By Daily Star
December 6, 2019

Politics

Climate Change: Bangladesh 7th worst-hit nation

The country is at risk from cyclones and flooding. Bangladesh is seventh among the 10 countries worst hit by extreme weather events, says a global climate report. Puerto Rico, Myanmar and Haiti top the list which has three South Asian countries and seven Asian nations, according to the Global Climate Risk Index (CRI) 2020 that analysed data from 1999 and 2018. Germanwatch, a Berlin based non-profit environmental research organisation, released the report yesterday on the sidelines of The Conference of the Parties (COP-25) meet in Madrid, Spain. In the previous report that examined data between 1998 and 2017, Bangladesh was at the ninth position. The study looked at four indicators — death toll, number of events, loss of property of each person and loss of gross domestic product. The CRI 2020 is based on the loss figures of 181 countries, it said. The report also said Japan, th


By Daily Star
December 5, 2019

Politics

Najib to take the stand today

The former premier is accused of malfeasance. Today is the day that Malaysians will see, for the first in the country’s history, a former prime minister take the stand to answer charges against him in a court of law. Datuk Seri Najib Razak (pic), 66, will testify from the witness box as the first defence witness to rebut his seven charges of misappropriating RM42mil in SRC International Sdn Bhd funds before High Court Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali. According to his co-counsel Harvinderjit Singh, Najib will be called as the first witness on the opening day of the defence’s proceedings. Najib will be first questioned by his defence during examination-in-chief before being cross-examined by the prosecution. On Nov 11, Justice Mohd Nazlan ordered Najib to enter his defence on three counts of criminal breach of trust (CBT), three charges of money laundering and on


By The Star
December 3, 2019

Politics

S. Korean negotiator hopes for ‘win-win’ burden-sharing deal with US

Trump has accused Korea of not paying its fair share of defense costs. South Korea’s top negotiator in defense cost-sharing talks with the United States said Monday that he believes the two sides will be able to strike a “win-win” deal based on their common understanding of the bilateral alliance. Jeong Eun-bo, the top envoy to the Special Measures Agreement negotiations, made the comment upon arriving at Washington’s Dulles International Airport ahead of the fourth round of talks slated for Tuesday and Wednesday. The previous round of talks in Seoul last month was cut short, publicly displaying the rift between the allies over how to share the costs for the stationing of 28,500 American troops in South Korea.


By The Korea Herald
December 3, 2019

Politics

New parties face drubbing in by-elections as Nepalis continue to vote along party lines

“They failed to convince the voters as to what they would bring to the table if they were given a chance”. Nepalis once again displayed traditional voting patterns as they continued to choose the established parties—Nepal Communist Party and the Nepali Congress—while casting their ballots in Saturday’s by-election, as they snubbed newer parties like Sajha and Bibeksheel. Despite their untiring efforts, focussing primarily on Kaski Constituency-2 in a bid to get a seat in the federal Parliament, both Sajha and Bibeksheel, cut no ice with voters. Both parties have had to fight hard to even secure their deposits, as candidates must garner at least 10 percent of the total votes cast to get back their deposit; a failure to do so is considered humiliating. By-elections were held on Saturday for 52 positions, including a vacant seat in the House of Representatives, three provincial assembly seats


By The Kathmandu Post
December 2, 2019

Politics

Thousands return to Hong Kong streets in fresh round of protests

Police fire tear gas at those outside of approved route. After a week of relative calm, thousands of anti-government protesters took to the streets of Hong Kong on Sunday (Dec 1) chanting slogans such as “revolution of our time” and “liberate Hong Kong”. The protest, which took place in the bustling shopping district of Tsim Tsa Tsui, came after hundreds of people marched to the United States consulate earlier in the day to show “gratitude” for US support for the demonstrations that have roiled the China-ruled financial hub for nearly six months. Waving posters that read “Never forget why you started” and black flags with the logo “Revolution now”, protesters marched past the city’s Kowloon waterfront, home to luxury hotels and shopping malls. Police in riot gear were out in force for the Tsim Sha Tsui march – the third one of the day. The


By The Straits Times
December 2, 2019