See More on Facebook

Politics

Thousands return to Hong Kong streets in fresh round of protests

Police fire tear gas at those outside of approved route.


Written by

Updated: December 2, 2019

After a week of relative calm, thousands of anti-government protesters took to the streets of Hong Kong on Sunday (Dec 1) chanting slogans such as “revolution of our time” and “liberate Hong Kong”.

The protest, which took place in the bustling shopping district of Tsim Tsa Tsui, came after hundreds of people marched to the United States consulate earlier in the day to show “gratitude” for US support for the demonstrations that have roiled the China-ruled financial hub for nearly six months.

Waving posters that read “Never forget why you started” and black flags with the logo “Revolution now”, protesters marched past the city’s Kowloon waterfront, home to luxury hotels and shopping malls.

Police in riot gear were out in force for the Tsim Sha Tsui march – the third one of the day. The approved march was from the Clock Tower in Tsim Sha Tsui to the Hong Kong Coliseum in Hung Hom via Salisbury Road.

Around 4.45pm, police fired tear gas on Salisbury Road, as some protesters had hurled bricks at officers and others deviated from the approved march route by occupying all lanes of Salisbury Road.

Earlier, police had fired pepper spray and pepper balls to force protesters back onto the approved route but to no avail.

The organiser of the march then announced that the rally would end at 5pm, one hour earlier than the permitted 6pm. Thereafter, police started clearing people from the protest route, telling them that the event had ended and that any continued gathering would be illegal.

Sunday’s protests came as the Hong Kong government is looking into setting up an independent committee to review the handling of the crisis, Chief Secretary Matthew Cheung told reporters when asked about an independent review committee. Some critics on social media, however, have said that such a committee would fall short of the independent investigation they have been demanding.

There has been relative calm in Hong Kong for the past week since local elections last Sunday delivered an overwhelming victory to pro-democracy candidates. However, activists have pledged to maintain the momentum of the movement with three marches on Sunday.

“I just want to remind everyone that despite the small victory in district council election, we must not forget why we started all this and we must return to our main theme – reclaim Hong Kong, revolution of our time; five demands, not one less,” an organiser of the Tsim Sha Tsui rally wrote on the Reddit-like LIHKG forum.

Police have issued permits called “letters of no objection” for all three events – including the march to the US consulate and a separate morning protest against police use of tear gas – and the post on LIHKG urged people to remain peaceful.

“I want to beg everyone to remain highly restrained during the hours covered by the letter of no objection. Otherwise I could be charged with inciting riots,” the organiser wrote in the anonymously penned post.

Anti-government protests have rocked the city since June, at times forcing government offices, businesses, schools and even the international airport to shut.

“We had demonstrations, peaceful protests, lobbying inside the council, a lot of things we have done but they all failed,” said a 25-year-old university graduate who wanted to be known only as Felix. “There are still five demands,” he said, referring to protesters’ calls that include an independent inquiry into police behaviour and the implementation of universal suffrage.

Earlier in the day, hundreds of people marched to the US consulate to show “gratitude” for US support of the anti-government protests that have roiled the financial hub for nearly six months.

Waving American flags, with some donning Donald Trump logo hats and t-shirts, protesters unfurled a banner depicting the US president standing astride a tank with a US flag behind him. Another banner read “President Trump, please liberate Hong Kong”.

President Trump this week signed into law congressional legislation that supported protesters in the China-ruled city, despite angry objections from Beijing.

Besides the march to the US consulate, a peaceful morning rally took place on Sunday morning where hundreds of people protested against police use of tear gas.

About 200 people marched against police use of tear gas. Carrying yellow balloons and waving banners that read “No tear gas, save our children”, the protesters streamed through the city’s central business district towards government headquarters on the main Hong Kong island.

Holding umbrellas to shield themselves from the sun, many people were seen pushing their children in strollers, while one man with a balloon festooned to his wheelchair also joined the procession.

“We want the police to stop using tear gas,” said a woman surnamed Wong, who was marching with her husband and five-year-old son. “It’s not a good way to solve the problem. The government needs to listen to the people. It is ridiculous.”

Hong Kong’s months-long protests started over a now-withdrawn extradition Bill that would send suspects to mainland China for trials but have since evolved into other demands including an independent inquiry into police behaviour during clashes with protesters as well as universal suffrage.

Protesters are also angry at what they see as Chinese meddling in the freedoms promised to the former British colony when it returned to Chinese rule in 1997. China denies interfering and says it is committed to the “one country, two systems” framework put in place at that time and has blamed foreign forces for fomenting unrest.

Last Friday, more than 1,000 police officers in the southern Chinese city of Zhuhai, located across the border from Hong Kong, conducted anti-terror drills, state media reported, adding that netizens in the mainland said the exercises served as a warning to “rioters”.

Meanwhile, China has accused the United Nations high commissioner for human rights of emboldening “radical violence” in Hong Kong by suggesting that the city’s leader conduct an investigation into reports of excessive use of force by police.

The UN commissioner, Ms Michelle Bachelet, wrote in an opinion piece on Saturday in the South China Morning Post that Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam’s government must prioritise “meaningful, inclusive” dialogue to resolve the crisis.

She urged Mrs Lam to hold an “independent and impartial judge-led investigation” into police conduct during protests. It has been one of key demands of pro-democracy demonstrations that have roiled the territory since June.

China’s UN mission in Geneva says Ms Bachelet’s article exerts pressure on the government and will “only embolden the rioters to conduct more severe radical violence”.

OVERNIGHT CLASHES

On Saturday night, police fired three rounds of tear gas for the first time since the local elections on Nov 24, after protesters blocked roads in the Mong Kok neighbourhood.

A video that emerged online also showed a protester brutally assaulting a man as he attempted to clear a barricade.

The commentator mocks the man, who stumbles and then slumps over after being hit across the head with a heavy metal object, blood trickling from a wound.

In a radio interview on Sunday morning, police chief Chris Tang said an attack took place in Mong Kok. “It could have killed him,” he said.

A police source confirmed that the incident seen in the video occurred in Mong Kok on Saturday night and that it was under investigation.

The condition of the man was not immediately clear. But the Hospital Authority said three people were brought in on Saturday night with protest-related injuries, one of whom was discharged while the other two were in a stable condition.

NEED TO RETAIN TALENT

On Sunday, Chief Secretary Cheung reiterated the urgency for the city to restore order and peace as soon as possible to retain talent.

In his weekly online article, Mr Cheung urged immediate efforts to bring back peace to Hong Kong in a bid to rebuild the confidence and trust of the international community, as well as the global image of Hong Kong.

It is unavoidable that some local and international talent consider building a career elsewhere for various reasons in the current situation, Mr Cheung said. However, he stressed that there is no massive brain drain in Hong Kong, whose advantages and competitiveness are still recognised by international institutions.

The city’s No. 2 official after Mrs Lam said that fostering and attracting top talent is crucial to the development of Hong Kong, which is facing the challenge of an ageing population and a labour shortage.

He also said that the Hong Kong government will continue working on a human resource plan to make the city more competitive and help the younger generation to grasp the opportunity of development.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Politics

China pledges international pandemic aid

 Producers of medical goods urged to meet demand from affected countries. China has pledged to do its best to offer aid to countries and international organisations affected by COVID-19 to help contain the outbreak, and businesses are being urged to boost production of epidemic prevention materials to meet demand from abroad. The announcement was made at a meeting of the leading group of China’s coronavirus response, chaired by Premier Li Keqiang on Thursday. Relevant departments and local authorities must step up co-ordination to closely monitor and analyse the quick spread of the outbreak outside China and roll out more targeted measures to prevent the import and export of infection, the group said in a statement. It is important to further


By China Daily
March 13, 2020

Politics

Back to work in Beijing, with tough measures in place

 Mandatory quarantine for those coming from overseas; some Wuhan businesses may reopen. As most of China attempts to return to normalcy after an extensive lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the capital Beijing has been carefully trying to strike a balance between having people restart work while also trying to keep out imported infections, and yesterday ordered a mandatory quarantine for all international arrivals. This comes as the Hubei government announced that some businesses in Wuhan, the outbreak’s epicentre, would gradually be allowed to reopen. On Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping visited Wuhan, his first visit to the city since the outbreak, a sign that the crisis could finally be easing after the government’s toug


By The Straits Times
March 12, 2020

Politics

Xi vows victory over coronavirus in Wuhan

President expresses condolences to families of people who died in epidemic. President Xi Jinping said on Tuesday that prevention and control of the novel coronavirus outbreak remains the top priority and most important task, even amid the recent positive signs. Xi, who is also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, made the remark during his inspection tour in the outbreak’s epicentre, Wuhan, capital of Hubei province. The spread of the novel coronavirus has been basically curbed in Hubei and Wuhan, Xi said, adding that initial success has been made in stabilising the situation and turning the tide in Hubei and Wuhan. Xi encouraged local residents and front-line worke


By China Daily
March 11, 2020

Politics

China sets example in fighting virus

Epidemic reveals inadequacies in global governance; Beijing says it’s ready to help. China’s response to novel coronavirus pneumonia has set an example for the world in coping with the contagion and offered experience in advancing global public health governance, officials and experts said. The COVID-19 outbreak has also raised the alarm about global public health security and reminded countries that co-operation and co-ordination are needed to deal with challenges as infectious diseases can rapidly escalate into global emergencies, they said. There is a growing positive momentum in epidemic control nationwide thanks to the “comprehensive, thorough and rigorous” measures that China has taken to contain the virus, they said, noting that the daily


By China Daily
March 10, 2020

Politics

More than 800,000 people return Beijing under quarantine

“There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. About 827,000 people who came back to Beijing from outside the city are still in a 14-day quarantine to see if they had been infected with the novel coronavirus, an official said on Friday. “There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. Z


By China Daily
March 9, 2020

Politics

South Korea declares third city as special care zone as cases spike

President Moon receives letter of support from North Korean leader as infected cases cross 6,000. South Korea has declared a third city a “special care zone” to boost its capability to fight a spike in coronavirus infections, with cases nationwide soaring beyond 6,000. The death toll stands at 42, mostly the elderly with underlying health conditions, while 88 people have recovered, including 47 discharged yesterday. The care zone announcement came as the presidential Blue House revealed that South Korean President Moon Jae-in received a letter on Wednesday from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expressing support and comfort to the people battling the coronavirus outbreak, adding that he is confident they will “prevail in this fight wit


By The Straits Times
March 6, 2020