See More on Facebook

Hundreds of thousands take part in massive Hong Kong march

Police seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration.


Written by

Updated: December 9, 2019

HONG KONG – Hundreds of thousands braved the chilly weather in Hong Kong to join a massive and largely peaceful march on Sunday afternoon (Dec 8) hours after police, in a crackdown on the main island, seized a gun and bullets which they believed were intended to be used during the demonstration.

Sunday’s march to mark Human Rights Day drew a crowd of 800,000, said the Civil Human Rights Front, the organiser behind the biggest protests in the city.

The event was a sign of the level of support for the anti-government movement that has stretched for more than six months.

The march, which began around 3pm, went on smoothly but tensions notched up at night when hundreds of protesters in face masks and helmets started building barricades in areas such as Central and Causeway Bay to slow down riot police stationed metres away, as participants of the march dispersed.

Petrol bombs were thrown at the entrance of the Court of Final Appeal in Central and the High Court Building in Admiralty after 6pm.

The government in a statement issued on Sunday night, severely condemned the unlawful acts, including the petrol bombs thrown at entrances of the court buildings, the blocking of roads and the trashing of shops and banks while the procession was ongoing. It said the acts had posed a danger to the peaceful protesters.

In a separate statement, the Department of Justice referred to the petrol bombs thrown as arson, adding that it is a serious offence with a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

Police had stationed a water cannon truck and armoured vehicles along Connaught Road Central in anticipation of possible violence.

Hours before that, the authorities said they confiscated a semi-automatic Glock pistol and 105 bullets in the operation at 11 locations on Hong Kong Island, with 11 individuals arrested.

Organised crime and triad senior superintendent Li Kwai Wah said this was the first time that a handgun, partially loaded with bullets, had been seized in half a year of protests.

Of those arrested, eight were men and three were women, aged between 20 and 63.

Also seized were knives, sabres, batons, pepper spray and firecrackers.

Sunday’s event was the first march held by the Front to be approved in months, and people walked from Victoria Park in Causeway Bay to Chater Garden in Central.

Joining the march in the afternoon was Ms C. Chan, 39, who said she was on the streets with her husband and two children aged one and four because she had the right to do so. “The government might not listen, but I have to express my views.”

Asked if she was afraid of possible chaos following the weapons seizure, she said: “They say this (that the weapons belong to some protesters), but I don’t think it is very believable.”

A 20-year-old student who wanted to be known only as Water said she does not trust the police.

“First of all, do the weapons found really belong to us? They just base it on what they searched. Could it be that those are their own but they claim they (weapons) are ours? Basically, the way they enforce the law is no longer recognised by Hong Kongers,” she said.

She said the government’s inaction means that protests will continue despite the landslide victory by the pan-democracy group in the District Council Elections on Nov 24.

Dr Sing Ming of The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology said the turnout reflects the widespread and deep discontent of the public towards the Hong Kong government and Beijing.

“The lack of any willingness on the part of Beijing and the Hong Kong government to compromise soon after the pan-democrats’ electoral victory also highlights Beijing’s hardline position,” said Dr Sing, who said the event’s turnout shows the public’s resolve to fight for their freedom and to show support for the front-line protesters.

Hong Kong’s economy slid into technical recession after contracting two consecutive quarters.

In the third quarter, its economy shrank by 3.2 per cent year on year,  prompting the government to pledge another HK$4 billion (S$695 million) in relief measures, bringing the total amount to HK$25 billion.

The demonstration on Sunday comes ahead of a planned strike on Monday (Dec 9) where protesters intend to start disrupting the transport network as early as 6 am.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Vietnamese students in South Korea on a knife-edge amid coronavirus epidemic

After being notified of a SARS-CoV-2 infected case at Ajou University Hospital in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea, five minutes walk from her apartment, Phuong Duyen decided to rush back to Vietnam. “I did not have a plan,” the Vietnamese second-year student of Kyung Hee University told Viet Nam News on Tuesday as she was waiting to board at Incheon International Airport. “I just paid my tuition fee yesterday and had stocked up on food and other supplies online.” “Everything changed after the patient was reported near my area,” she said. “My mother urged me to come home as soon as possible. I also read some articles saying the healthcare hotline was overloaded. Considering the current situation in South Korea, I


By Viet Nam News
February 28, 2020

10 dead in Delhi in violent protests against controversial citizenship law, in the midst of Trump’s visit

Witnesses said Delhi police, who were outnumbered, did little to stop the violence, mostly standing by while groups pelted each other with stones, and vandalised vehicles and property. At least 10 people, including a cop, have been killed in India’s capital city Delhi since Monday (Feb 24), in a worrying outbreak of communal violence between those protesting a controversial citizenship law and groups who oppose them. The violence, marked by arson and stone pelting, continued on Tuesday less than 20km from where Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump were holding talks. Even journalists reporting on the spot were attacked and forced to delete pictures and footage. More than 100 people have been injured, accordin


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

Malaysia political turmoil: Search for new government continues as King meets 132 MPs in second day of interviews

The unprecedented move for the King to interview MPs individually instead of meeting party leaders appears to be in line with Dr Mahathir’s plan to form a grand coalition across the political spectrum. The Yang di-Pertuan Agong continues the search for Malaysia’s new government on Wednesday (Feb 26) by interviewing 132 MPs to see whether they back interim premier Mahathir Mohamad to continue leading the country. This will complete interviews of all 222 parliamentarians after those from the opposition were asked on Tuesday who they wanted as prime minister, or if they preferred a snap election. Those heading to the palace on Wednesday are from the now collapsed Pakatan Harapan (PH) government. The Straits Times understands that those still in


By The Straits Times
February 26, 2020

Mahathir made caretaker PM after Malaysia’s King accepts his resignation

After his resignation, the ruling Pakatan Harapan (PH) coalition saw the departure of dozens of lawmakers that left it short of a majority in Parliament. Just hours after submitting his resignation to Malaysia’s King on Monday (Feb 24), Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad was made caretaker Prime Minister. The King accepted Tun Dr Mahathir’s resignation, but appointed him interim Prime Minister, Chief Secretary to the government Mohd Zuki Ali said in a statement. Dr Mahathir will continue to run the country’s administration until a new prime minister and Cabinet are appointed, he added. All ministerial appointments were also cancelled with effect from Monday as a result of the prime minister’s resignation, the chief secretary said in a separate state


By The Straits Times
February 25, 2020

Vietnamese advised to avoid travel to coronavirus-hit areas in South Korea, flights not banned yet

The Consular Department under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Vietnamese Embassy in South Korea has recommended Vietnamese citizens to avoid travel to areas affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and places vulnerable to the disease. The warning was made given the complex development of the COVID-19 in the RoK. Vietnamese citizens were also advised to keep a close watch and follow instructions of local agencies to prevent the illness. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has asked the Vietnamese Embassy in the RoK to work with local agencies to learn more about the situation, keep in touch with Vietnamese citizens in the country, establish a hotline and be ready to take protection measures when necessary. According to the embassy, as o


By Viet Nam News
February 24, 2020

Singdollar declines to near 3-year low on coronavirus fears

 Fall comes amid Asia-wide forex sell-off after South Korea infection spike, two deaths in Japan. The Singapore dollar fell along with most Asian currencies on concerns over the coronavirus outbreak. The local currency fell to its lowest level against the United States dollar since May 2017 at one point yesterday, before recouping some of the losses. It slid about 1 per cent to as low as S$1.4083 to the greenback, before paring losses to trade 0.3 per cent lower. South Korea’s won sank more than 1 per cent to 1,201.95 to the dollar. The baht, the most sensitive in Asia to tourism, dropped 0.7 per cent to 31.406 to the dollar. The sell-off in the region’s foreign exchange (FX) markets followed a spike in confirmed infections in South


By The Straits Times
February 21, 2020