See More on Facebook

News

Wuhan virus: Outbreak expected to impact Singapore economy but support measures ready, says Chan Chun Sing

The outbreak is expected to affect Singapore’s economy, business and consumer confidence this year as the situation may persist for some time, Mr Chan said at a press conference by the multi-ministry task force on the Wuhan coronavirus.


Written by

Updated: January 28, 2020

The Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) will implement necessary measures to help businesses and enterprises impacted by the Wuhan virus, Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Sing said on Monday (Jan 27).

In particular, tourism-related sectors are of immediate concern, he said.

He added that MTI will help these businesses and enterprises – including travel agents, hospitality industries, the food and beverage sector, retailers and air transport providers – reduce their business costs, alleviate cash flow problems and retain workers.

The ministry is also working with the Trade Associations and Chambers (TACs) to develop necessary support measures for the economy and Singapore’s workers, he said.

He cited as examples several measures that were implemented in 2003 during the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) outbreak.

For tourism-related industries, some of the measures the government can take and have taken previously include property tax rebates, reduction in the foreign worker levy for unskilled workers and the easing of working capital through a temporary bridging loan, he said.

He said these measures will help reduce the risk of a business going insolvent, leading to retrenchments.

He noted that since the outbreak, economic agencies, in particular the Singapore Tourism Board, has been in contact with TACs to manage the impact and to assess the help necessary.

“Our priority now is to work closely with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and NTUC to mitigate the fallout and support our workers affected to preserve their livelihoods.”

At the press conference on Monday, Manpower Minister Josephine Teo, who is also on the task force, said life must go on even as additional precautions are being taken.

“Businesses must continue to operate, and our workers must be able to go to work,” she said.

She said her ministry has been working with employers and the unions to keep workplaces safe.

Employers should familiarise themselves with the latest advisories on official channels like the the Health and Manpower Ministry websites and the Gov.sg WhatsApp service, she added.

They should also implement recommended measures and contact the Manpower Ministry for advice if they have concerns or are unsure about what to do.

Several businessmen told The Straits Times on Monday that their companies havealready instituted measures in response to the virus outbreak.

Mr Ho Kwok Choi, who runs a food importing business, said he has advised his friends and employees who have been to China to stay at home for two weeks as a precaution against the virus.

He is also avoiding all travel to China himself, even though he usually goes there frequently.

“The situation looks to be getting more dangerous, the numbers of infected and deaths are increasing day by day,” said Mr Ho.

Another businessman in his 60s, Mr L.J. Foo, said he cancelled his plans to visit the city of Xiamen, in Fujian province, a day before he was due to fly.

“Even though there are no cases there, I have to take the initiative to be responsible,” said Mr Foo, who owns a business in the construction sector.

He has also advised an employee from Wuhan who went home for Chinese New Year not to return to Singapore.

“I told him to stay there till the situation has stabilised, as we have to take the precaution,” said Mr Foo.

“I think the bigger impact is that all those workers who have been to China won’t be able to return to Singapore, and it will affect business to a certain degree,” he added.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

News

EDITORIAL: Mr Trump in India

US President and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were able to convey a robust message to the west of the Radcliffe Line, thanks largely to their personal chemistry. The diplomatic irony has been rather exceptionally bitter. Donald Trump’s 36-hour visit to India was somewhat pushed out of focus by the communal flare-up that has overwhelmed parts of Delhi, with the death toll rising to 27 till Thursday afternoon. And yet the US President and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were able to convey a robust message to the west of the Radcliffe Line, thanks largely to their personal chemistry. And unlike some previous US Presidents, Mr Trump chose not to follow up his visit to India with another to Pakistan… as often as not to sing a different piece. No, he hasn


By The Statesman
February 28, 2020

News

As Covid-19 spreads, public health officials consider plans for a worst-case scenario

 Department of Health Services has a Plan B for a few infections but its Plan C envisions shutting down all schools, public transport and gatherings in case of a mass outbreak. While Covid-19 coronavirus infections have significantly slowed in China, they are rapidly spreading around the globe, prompting countries to step up measures to control the spread and the UN 


By The Kathmandu Post
February 28, 2020

News

Vietnam reaffirms support for nuclear non-proliferation treaty

Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, head of Vietnam’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations, has reaffirmed Vietnam’s strong support for the realisation of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) on three pillars. During a session of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) in New York on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the NPT, Ambassador Quy affirmed that Vietnam has joined all international efforts regarding non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, including regional and global conventions; complied with the International Atomic Energy Agency’s highest safety standards; and strictly followed the UNSC’s resolutions. He said any intentional, unintentional or miscalculated use of nuclear weapons seriously threatened global peace and


By Viet Nam News
February 28, 2020

News

Budget debate: Coronavirus concerns present long-term opportunities, say MPs

Many have little savings to see them though a work drought, she said, noting that a number of events and work assignments have been cancelled or deferred as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak. While the coronavirus outbreak has battered businesses, it has also created opportunities to better prepare Singapore for future challenges, MPs said on Thursday (Feb 27). Speaking on Day 2 of the debate on the Budget statement, they said these include getting more firms to adopt e-commerce, diversifying supply sources and making flexible work arrangements permanent for working parents and caregivers. A total of 54 MPs, including political office holders, spoke over two days on various aspects of the Budget. USING TODAY’S CRISIS TO PREPARE FOR THE FUTU


By The Straits Times
February 28, 2020

News

Coronavirus: 2 new cases confirmed; 4 more, including private hospital doctor, discharged

 Two patients from the Grace Assembly of God cluster, cases 49 and 73, were also discharged.  Two new cases of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) were confirmed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Wednesday (Feb 26) and four others have recovered and were discharged. This brings the total number of cases here to 93, of which 62 have fully recovered. Case 59, the private hospital doctor, was among the four discharged. The 61-year-old Singaporean was confirmed to have the virus on Feb 13 and had been warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases. He is not linked to any of the five known clusters but is a non-medical contact of case 72, a 40-year-old man from China who holds a Singapore work pass. Case 56, a Banglad


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

News

Japan provides protective gear for use in battling coronavirus

 The government of Japan has given personal protective supplies to the Ministry of Health to help medical staff if they are required to care for people infected with the coronavirus. The items were handed over at the Ministry of Health on Tuesday by the Ambassador of Japan to Laos, Mr Takewaka Keizo, to Minister of Health Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong Syhavong. The supplies comprised 4,680 isolation gowns, 6,100 gloves, 6,000 N95 masks, 13,200 surgical masks, 27 goggles, and 240 bottles of alcohol hand rub. Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong thanked the government of Japan for its assistance, saying “On behalf of Laos, we would like to express our appreciation to the government of Japan for its continuing support to our country.” The ministry has been st


By Vientiane Times
February 27, 2020