See More on Facebook

News

Moon shows confidence in Wuhan evacuation

First batch of South Koreans to arrive, stay in state-run quarantine centers.


Written by

Updated: January 30, 2020

President Moon Jae-in on Thursday pledged secure management of facilities housing Koreans returning from Wuhan, as the government prepared to begin evacuation of Koreans from the Chinese city.
Speaking at a meeting to assess the government’s response to the coronavirus outbreak, Moon called on ministries to deal sternly with “fake news” inciting public fear.
“The government will manage the temporary housing facilities without cracks to ensure that the local residents do not worry,” Moon said.
Since the government announced that those returning from Wuhan will be housed in government facilities in Asan, South Chungcheong Province and Jincheon, North Chungcheong Province, local residents have protested strongly, with some assaulting government officials who visited the area Wednesday.
According to the Ministry of Health and Welfare, those boarding the plane would have been tested by Chinese authorities for symptoms and they will again be tested by Korean authorities once back in Korea.
Those showing any related symptoms will immediately be isolated, and others will be moved directly to the quarantine facilities. Once in quarantine, the people will be housed in individual rooms equipped with individual bathroom facilities.
During their stay at the facilities — 14 days if no symptoms develop — they will be checked by medical staff twice a day and will not be allowed any contact with the outside. Individuals housed at the facilities will also be required to wear N95 masks when outside their rooms.
At the meeting, Moon added that no Korean in Wuhan has been confirmed so far to have the virus or shown any symptoms, adding that anyone displaying symptoms will be brought back on the chartered flights as agreed with the Chinese government.
“After returning, they will stay in facilities isolated from the outside for a designated period. The measures are to ensure not only the safety of the returning citizens, but to prevent (the virus) entering the local community through complete isolation,” Moon said.
Moon also called for measures against fake news and urged the government to inform the public transparently.
“Creating and spreading fake news that fans distrust and anxiety is a serious crime that hampers preventative measures, and the safety of the people,” Moon said, adding that concerned ministries should deal “sternly” with rumors and fake news that exceed the boundaries of freedom of expression.
“The weapon that can protect us against the new coronavirus is not fear and hatred but trust and cooperation,” Moon said, in apparent response to developments such as rising calls to prohibit Chinese nationals from entering the country.
As for plans to send chartered flights to Wuhan, Seoul was in the final stages of negotiations with Beijing, with the first of the flights set to take off Thursday evening.
According to Seoul’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Kang Kyung-wha, Beijing informed Seoul that it will initially approve one chartered flight, forcing Seoul to change its plans.
Seoul had planned to send four flights to Wuhan to bring back 720 Koreans. Following China’s decision, Seoul changed the plans to seat about half of those wishing to return to Korea in the first flight, instead of sending four flights over the course of two days.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


Asia News Network
About the Author: Asia News Network is a regional media alliance comprising 24 media entities.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

News

EDITORIAL: Mr Trump in India

US President and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were able to convey a robust message to the west of the Radcliffe Line, thanks largely to their personal chemistry. The diplomatic irony has been rather exceptionally bitter. Donald Trump’s 36-hour visit to India was somewhat pushed out of focus by the communal flare-up that has overwhelmed parts of Delhi, with the death toll rising to 27 till Thursday afternoon. And yet the US President and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were able to convey a robust message to the west of the Radcliffe Line, thanks largely to their personal chemistry. And unlike some previous US Presidents, Mr Trump chose not to follow up his visit to India with another to Pakistan… as often as not to sing a different piece. No, he hasn


By The Statesman
February 28, 2020

News

As Covid-19 spreads, public health officials consider plans for a worst-case scenario

 Department of Health Services has a Plan B for a few infections but its Plan C envisions shutting down all schools, public transport and gatherings in case of a mass outbreak. While Covid-19 coronavirus infections have significantly slowed in China, they are rapidly spreading around the globe, prompting countries to step up measures to control the spread and the UN 


By The Kathmandu Post
February 28, 2020

News

Vietnam reaffirms support for nuclear non-proliferation treaty

Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, head of Vietnam’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations, has reaffirmed Vietnam’s strong support for the realisation of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) on three pillars. During a session of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) in New York on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the NPT, Ambassador Quy affirmed that Vietnam has joined all international efforts regarding non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, including regional and global conventions; complied with the International Atomic Energy Agency’s highest safety standards; and strictly followed the UNSC’s resolutions. He said any intentional, unintentional or miscalculated use of nuclear weapons seriously threatened global peace and


By Viet Nam News
February 28, 2020

News

Budget debate: Coronavirus concerns present long-term opportunities, say MPs

Many have little savings to see them though a work drought, she said, noting that a number of events and work assignments have been cancelled or deferred as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak. While the coronavirus outbreak has battered businesses, it has also created opportunities to better prepare Singapore for future challenges, MPs said on Thursday (Feb 27). Speaking on Day 2 of the debate on the Budget statement, they said these include getting more firms to adopt e-commerce, diversifying supply sources and making flexible work arrangements permanent for working parents and caregivers. A total of 54 MPs, including political office holders, spoke over two days on various aspects of the Budget. USING TODAY’S CRISIS TO PREPARE FOR THE FUTU


By The Straits Times
February 28, 2020

News

Coronavirus: 2 new cases confirmed; 4 more, including private hospital doctor, discharged

 Two patients from the Grace Assembly of God cluster, cases 49 and 73, were also discharged.  Two new cases of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) were confirmed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Wednesday (Feb 26) and four others have recovered and were discharged. This brings the total number of cases here to 93, of which 62 have fully recovered. Case 59, the private hospital doctor, was among the four discharged. The 61-year-old Singaporean was confirmed to have the virus on Feb 13 and had been warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases. He is not linked to any of the five known clusters but is a non-medical contact of case 72, a 40-year-old man from China who holds a Singapore work pass. Case 56, a Banglad


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

News

Japan provides protective gear for use in battling coronavirus

 The government of Japan has given personal protective supplies to the Ministry of Health to help medical staff if they are required to care for people infected with the coronavirus. The items were handed over at the Ministry of Health on Tuesday by the Ambassador of Japan to Laos, Mr Takewaka Keizo, to Minister of Health Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong Syhavong. The supplies comprised 4,680 isolation gowns, 6,100 gloves, 6,000 N95 masks, 13,200 surgical masks, 27 goggles, and 240 bottles of alcohol hand rub. Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong thanked the government of Japan for its assistance, saying “On behalf of Laos, we would like to express our appreciation to the government of Japan for its continuing support to our country.” The ministry has been st


By Vientiane Times
February 27, 2020