See More on Facebook

News

PM Mahathir gives AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes tacit support in Airbus case

Malaysian PM offers his take on payments in bribery scandal AirAsia’s embattled chief Tony Fernandes has received a temporary lifeline from Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, who yesterday offered tacit personal approval for the business dealings of the airline’s top executives which were deemed fraudulent by British prosecutors in a bribery scandal involving Airbus.


Written by

Updated: February 7, 2020

Malaysian PM offers his take on payments in bribery scandal

AirAsia’s embattled chief Tony Fernandes has received a temporary lifeline from Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, who yesterday offered tacit personal approval for the business dealings of the airline’s top executives which were deemed fraudulent by British prosecutors in a bribery scandal involving Airbus.

But Malaysian government officials, aviation industry executives and lawyers wonder whether Tan Sri Fernandes, who has long been synonymous with the region’s most aggressive low-budget airline, can survive this latest brush with controversy at a time when the aviation and tourism sectors are facing new and still-unknown challenges posed by the coronavirus outbreak.

Wading into the unfolding scandal, Tun Dr Mahathir offered his take on a controversial sponsorship payment by Airbus, calling it an “offset” which he said did not amount to a bribe.

“Usually when we buy parts, we request an offset. Unless the money goes straight into their pockets, then it is bribery,” he told reporters in Malaysia’s administrative capital of Putrajaya.

“If there is another purpose, it is an offset but I cannot decide on this matter,” he added.

Why Dr Mahathir chose to comment on the bribery scandal roiling AirAsia at a time when several agencies in Malaysia, including the country’s stock market regulators and the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission, have initiated separate investigations into the affair is unclear.

Government officials and lawyers tracking the matter noted that the 94-year-old premier’s understanding of it appears to be guided by government procurement contract practices that typically do not apply to private entities that have to answer to public shareholders.

AirAsia and its long-haul low-cost subsidiary, AirAsiaX, have been rocked in recent days by the fallout from the bribery scandal.

Last week, Airbus agreed to pay a record US$4 billion (S$5.5 billion) in fines after reaching a plea bargain with prosecutors from Britain, France and the United States over alleged bribery and corruption that go back more than 15 years.

Prosecutors at the UK Serious Fraud Office said that Airbus paid US$50 million in sponsorship to a sports team jointly owned by two AirAsia executives as a reward for an order of 135 aircraft.

Though the executives and the sports team were not named, Malaysian government officials and aviation sector executives said that Mr Fernandes and his joint-venture partner in AirAsia, Kamarudin Meranun, were implicated. The sports company cited was the Caterham Formula One team that was privately owned by the two businessmen in their personal capacities.

Both the AirAsia founding shareholders have denied any wrongdoing. They have temporarily stepped down from their top positions in the two companies pending the ongoing probes.

Both executives could not be reached for immediate comment and a senior independent director at the AirAsia group also declined to discuss the matter.

The fallout from the Airbus scandal has implicated prominent aviation sector executives and companies in several places, including Sri Lanka, Taiwan and Colombia.

But there is particular interest in the Malaysian case because of the near rock-star status of Mr Fernandes in aviation circles.

The Airbus bribery scandal comes at a time when Mr Fernandes is facing separate corruption charges in India, where the authorities said that he was involved in a sham contract “for allegedly paying bribe to unknown government servants and others for securing a permit for international scheduled air transport services”.

Malaysian government officials now say the regulatory agencies could revisit other claims of alleged unsavoury business practices at the private Malaysian airline that were not investigated in the past.

In a case initiated by the UK Serious Fraud Office in 2017, Rolls-Royce Holdings admitted to providing more than US$3 million worth of credits to an unnamed AirAsia executive in connection with an engine contract with the expectation that the funds would be used for the maintenance of a private jet.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

News

EDITORIAL: Mr Trump in India

US President and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were able to convey a robust message to the west of the Radcliffe Line, thanks largely to their personal chemistry. The diplomatic irony has been rather exceptionally bitter. Donald Trump’s 36-hour visit to India was somewhat pushed out of focus by the communal flare-up that has overwhelmed parts of Delhi, with the death toll rising to 27 till Thursday afternoon. And yet the US President and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were able to convey a robust message to the west of the Radcliffe Line, thanks largely to their personal chemistry. And unlike some previous US Presidents, Mr Trump chose not to follow up his visit to India with another to Pakistan… as often as not to sing a different piece. No, he hasn


By The Statesman
February 28, 2020

News

As Covid-19 spreads, public health officials consider plans for a worst-case scenario

 Department of Health Services has a Plan B for a few infections but its Plan C envisions shutting down all schools, public transport and gatherings in case of a mass outbreak. While Covid-19 coronavirus infections have significantly slowed in China, they are rapidly spreading around the globe, prompting countries to step up measures to control the spread and the UN 


By The Kathmandu Post
February 28, 2020

News

Vietnam reaffirms support for nuclear non-proliferation treaty

Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, head of Vietnam’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations, has reaffirmed Vietnam’s strong support for the realisation of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) on three pillars. During a session of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) in New York on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the NPT, Ambassador Quy affirmed that Vietnam has joined all international efforts regarding non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, including regional and global conventions; complied with the International Atomic Energy Agency’s highest safety standards; and strictly followed the UNSC’s resolutions. He said any intentional, unintentional or miscalculated use of nuclear weapons seriously threatened global peace and


By Viet Nam News
February 28, 2020

News

Budget debate: Coronavirus concerns present long-term opportunities, say MPs

Many have little savings to see them though a work drought, she said, noting that a number of events and work assignments have been cancelled or deferred as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak. While the coronavirus outbreak has battered businesses, it has also created opportunities to better prepare Singapore for future challenges, MPs said on Thursday (Feb 27). Speaking on Day 2 of the debate on the Budget statement, they said these include getting more firms to adopt e-commerce, diversifying supply sources and making flexible work arrangements permanent for working parents and caregivers. A total of 54 MPs, including political office holders, spoke over two days on various aspects of the Budget. USING TODAY’S CRISIS TO PREPARE FOR THE FUTU


By The Straits Times
February 28, 2020

News

Coronavirus: 2 new cases confirmed; 4 more, including private hospital doctor, discharged

 Two patients from the Grace Assembly of God cluster, cases 49 and 73, were also discharged.  Two new cases of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) were confirmed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Wednesday (Feb 26) and four others have recovered and were discharged. This brings the total number of cases here to 93, of which 62 have fully recovered. Case 59, the private hospital doctor, was among the four discharged. The 61-year-old Singaporean was confirmed to have the virus on Feb 13 and had been warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases. He is not linked to any of the five known clusters but is a non-medical contact of case 72, a 40-year-old man from China who holds a Singapore work pass. Case 56, a Banglad


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

News

Japan provides protective gear for use in battling coronavirus

 The government of Japan has given personal protective supplies to the Ministry of Health to help medical staff if they are required to care for people infected with the coronavirus. The items were handed over at the Ministry of Health on Tuesday by the Ambassador of Japan to Laos, Mr Takewaka Keizo, to Minister of Health Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong Syhavong. The supplies comprised 4,680 isolation gowns, 6,100 gloves, 6,000 N95 masks, 13,200 surgical masks, 27 goggles, and 240 bottles of alcohol hand rub. Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong thanked the government of Japan for its assistance, saying “On behalf of Laos, we would like to express our appreciation to the government of Japan for its continuing support to our country.” The ministry has been st


By Vientiane Times
February 27, 2020