See More on Facebook

News

Coronavirus: Chinese community in Australia complain of racism as MPs call for calm

Australia’s population of about 25 million includes more than 1.


Written by

Updated: February 10, 2020

2 million people of Chinese heritage.

The coronavirus outbreak has taken a toll on Australia’s Chinese community, including a loss of trade at Chinese restaurants and stores as well as increased reports of racism.

Since the outbreak of the virus, which originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, there have been growing reports of members of the Chinese-Australian community – and the Asian-Australian community – being subject to vitriol or racist slurs.

A surgeon in the Gold Coast in Queensland, Dr Rhea Liang, recounted an experience late last month in which a patient joked in front of her and her colleagues about not shaking her hand because of the coronavirus.

In a tweet that was shared more than 2,000 times, Dr Liang later wrote: “I have not left Australia. This is not sensible public health precautions. This is #racism.”

Others recounted similar incidents.

A journalist, Ms Iris Zhao, described being in a supermarket when a middle-aged woman passed her and said “Asians… stay home… stop spreading the virus”. Ms Zhao said the incident prompted several of her Chinese-Australian friends to tell her of similar experiences.

“One (friend) recounted how a waiter had dumped change at his table before turning and quickly walking away after my friend paid cash for a meal at a Melbourne restaurant,” she wrote on the ABC News website.

“Another, who wore a mask as a precaution at a shopping mall on Friday, had three teenagers tell her: ‘See you! Go and catch coronavirus.'”

She added: “Before this experience, racism was something I knew existed but had only experienced via other people’s stories.”

2 million people of Chinese heritage. In some parts of large cities, such as Sydney and Melbourne, Chinese-Australians are the largest ethnic group and far outnumber those with Australian ancestry.

Australia has recorded 15 cases of the virus. The federal government has imposed a travel ban on foreigners arriving from China. Those who are not Australian citizens or residents are not allowed to enter until 14 days since they left or passed through China.

Since the outbreak, there have also been reports of fake social media campaigns in Australia urging people to stay away from areas with large numbers of Chinese-Australians.

Separately, members of the Chinese-Australian community started an online petition to demand that two mass-circulation newspapers apologise for their “offensive” coverage of the coronavirus. The campaign attacked Melbourne’s Herald Sun for referring to the “Chinese virus” and criticised the Daily Telegraph for a headline that referred to “China kids” staying home. The petition has received 72,000 signatures.

The concerns about racist incidents prompted a federal MP, Mr Andrew Giles, this week to call in Parliament for an end to the xenophobic outpourings prompted by the coronavirus outbreak. He said the public health response was being “undermined” by the targeting of Chinese-Australians and Asian-Australians.

“We see… constant and challenging stories of racism being directed against Chinese-Australians and indeed Asian-Australians more generally,” he told Parliament. “This is not a Chinese disease.”

A research officer at the Australian National University, Ms Yun Jiang, co-editor of the China Neican newsletter, said she did not believe the coronavirus had “turned people into racists” but it was inflaming existing community prejudices.

“So now people who perhaps have existing prejudice suddenly have an excuse to act out with racist behaviour and remarks,” she told the news.com.au website.

Areas across Australia with large Chinese-Australian populations have experienced a noticeable downturn in foot traffic as local Chinese-Australians and other customers stay away. Some shops and restaurants have stayed shut in recent weeks due to a lack of business.

In Box Hill, an area in east Melbourne with a large Chinese-Australian community, some shop-owners said this week that business was down by as much as 90 per cent.

An Asian grocery store owner, Mr Vincent Liu, told ABC News that trade had worsened following a recent rumour that someone infected with the virus had visited the area.

Similar scenes have unfolded across Australia in areas with large Chinese-Australian communities.

On Friday (Feb 07), a mix of MPs from the ruling Coalition and the Labor party visited the shops in Box Hill to show support for the local community and to urge the public to keep shopping and eating there.

Ms Gladys Liu, a federal Liberal MP, told the local Whitehorse Leader newspaper: “We need to stay calm. We don’t need to panic.”



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


About the Author: The Straits Times is Singapore's top-selling newspaper.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

News

EDITORIAL: Mr Trump in India

US President and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were able to convey a robust message to the west of the Radcliffe Line, thanks largely to their personal chemistry. The diplomatic irony has been rather exceptionally bitter. Donald Trump’s 36-hour visit to India was somewhat pushed out of focus by the communal flare-up that has overwhelmed parts of Delhi, with the death toll rising to 27 till Thursday afternoon. And yet the US President and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were able to convey a robust message to the west of the Radcliffe Line, thanks largely to their personal chemistry. And unlike some previous US Presidents, Mr Trump chose not to follow up his visit to India with another to Pakistan… as often as not to sing a different piece. No, he hasn


By The Statesman
February 28, 2020

News

As Covid-19 spreads, public health officials consider plans for a worst-case scenario

 Department of Health Services has a Plan B for a few infections but its Plan C envisions shutting down all schools, public transport and gatherings in case of a mass outbreak. While Covid-19 coronavirus infections have significantly slowed in China, they are rapidly spreading around the globe, prompting countries to step up measures to control the spread and the UN 


By The Kathmandu Post
February 28, 2020

News

Vietnam reaffirms support for nuclear non-proliferation treaty

Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, head of Vietnam’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations, has reaffirmed Vietnam’s strong support for the realisation of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) on three pillars. During a session of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) in New York on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the NPT, Ambassador Quy affirmed that Vietnam has joined all international efforts regarding non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, including regional and global conventions; complied with the International Atomic Energy Agency’s highest safety standards; and strictly followed the UNSC’s resolutions. He said any intentional, unintentional or miscalculated use of nuclear weapons seriously threatened global peace and


By Viet Nam News
February 28, 2020

News

Budget debate: Coronavirus concerns present long-term opportunities, say MPs

Many have little savings to see them though a work drought, she said, noting that a number of events and work assignments have been cancelled or deferred as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak. While the coronavirus outbreak has battered businesses, it has also created opportunities to better prepare Singapore for future challenges, MPs said on Thursday (Feb 27). Speaking on Day 2 of the debate on the Budget statement, they said these include getting more firms to adopt e-commerce, diversifying supply sources and making flexible work arrangements permanent for working parents and caregivers. A total of 54 MPs, including political office holders, spoke over two days on various aspects of the Budget. USING TODAY’S CRISIS TO PREPARE FOR THE FUTU


By The Straits Times
February 28, 2020

News

Coronavirus: 2 new cases confirmed; 4 more, including private hospital doctor, discharged

 Two patients from the Grace Assembly of God cluster, cases 49 and 73, were also discharged.  Two new cases of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) were confirmed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Wednesday (Feb 26) and four others have recovered and were discharged. This brings the total number of cases here to 93, of which 62 have fully recovered. Case 59, the private hospital doctor, was among the four discharged. The 61-year-old Singaporean was confirmed to have the virus on Feb 13 and had been warded at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases. He is not linked to any of the five known clusters but is a non-medical contact of case 72, a 40-year-old man from China who holds a Singapore work pass. Case 56, a Banglad


By The Straits Times
February 27, 2020

News

Japan provides protective gear for use in battling coronavirus

 The government of Japan has given personal protective supplies to the Ministry of Health to help medical staff if they are required to care for people infected with the coronavirus. The items were handed over at the Ministry of Health on Tuesday by the Ambassador of Japan to Laos, Mr Takewaka Keizo, to Minister of Health Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong Syhavong. The supplies comprised 4,680 isolation gowns, 6,100 gloves, 6,000 N95 masks, 13,200 surgical masks, 27 goggles, and 240 bottles of alcohol hand rub. Assoc. Prof. Dr Bounkong thanked the government of Japan for its assistance, saying “On behalf of Laos, we would like to express our appreciation to the government of Japan for its continuing support to our country.” The ministry has been st


By Vientiane Times
February 27, 2020