See More on Facebook

Spread of virus slows down in China

 Rate of severely ill patients drops across country, commission spokesman says.


Written by

Updated: February 17, 2020

Increasing signs of a stable slowdown in the spread of novel coronavirus pneumonia in China appeared over the weekend, as health authorities pledged to maintain their assertive measures in Hubei province to avert the virus flaring up again at its epicentre.

Outside Hubei, the number of new infections nationwide had dropped for 12 consecutive days as of Saturday. In Hubei, new cases had declined for three days in a row, and the number of suspected cases awaiting diagnosis is also shrinking, according to figures released by the National Health Commission.

Meanwhile, the rate of severely ill patients has dropped significantly across the country, as in Wuhan, the provincial capital of Hubei, the proportion of patients in serious condition decreased to 21.6 per cent on Sunday from a high of 32.4 per cent on Jan 28, commission spokesman Mi Feng said on Sunday.

Across Hubei, the proportion of severe cases decreased to 11.1 per cent on Saturday from the peak of 18.4 per cent on Jan 27, and the percentage of severe cases across the rest of the country declined to 7.2 per cent on Saturday, he said.

This was made possible by strengthened medical assistance, as well as centralised isolation and treatment, Mi said. “A substantial foundation has been laid to further increase the recovery rate and reduce the mortality rate,” he added.

However, the positive signals are not eclipsing the fact that the overall confirmed cases and fatalities nationwide are still on the rise, and some instances of infection clusters in Hubei province are particularly concerning, according to health officials.

The commission registered 2,009 new confirmed infections and 142 additional deaths on the Chinese mainland on Saturday. In all, 68,500 people on the Chinese mainland have been infected and 1,665 have died.

The majority of new infections and fatalities are still concentrated in Hubei province, where 1,843 confirmed patients and 139 new deaths were added on Saturday.

Wang Hesheng, head of Hubei Provincial Health Commission, said on Saturday that Anchorrefined control measures have subdued the outbreak and earned precious time for the country to brace for the most strenuous stretch in the fight against the disease.

“Wuhan remains the primary battlefield,” he said, adding that the authorities must “make sure that no city will become a second Wuhan” and ensure that “zero patients would go without treatment”.

He spoke at a news conference held in Wuhan by the State Council Information Office.

Liang Wannian, head of the commission’s institutional reform department who also leads the commission’s disease control team, said on Saturday that a handful of provincial-level regions, including Shanxi, Jilin and Gansu provinces, had recorded fewer than five new cases for three consecutive days.

“In Wuhan, the rate of new infections had been slowing down since Feb 1. But for other regions in the province, including Xiaogan and Huanggang, the rate remains high, and the numbers of clustered infections in families and imported cases are relatively large,” he said, adding that the risk of sustained transmission and a sudden surge in cases is considered low.

“At present, disease control work in Hubei province is at the most critical stage, and the tension is mounting,” Liang said. “We must keep a firm grip on the region.”

On Sunday, the Hubei provincial government announced the upgrading of its containment efforts, by implementing the strictest, around-the-clock lockdown policies across all villages, communities, neighbourhoods and residential areas.

All non-essential public and group activities in Hubei will be halted, and a widespread screening that covers all residents will be launched, according to a government announcement.

The announcement reiterates that infected patients and people with fever who cannot be ruled out from contracting the virus must be isolated in designated facilities.

The use of all vehicles is prohibited except for public transportation and those for epidemic control purposes, such as cars carrying medical staff, delivering daily necessities, ambulances, and vehicles from the sanitation, firefighting and public security departments, it said.

In addition, there are 39,447 infected patients who need medical care in Hubei, with 8,439 of them in serious condition and 1,957 in critical condition, according to the provincial health commission.

Wang, head of the provincial health commission, said the authorities will continue to repurpose wards in some hospitals into designated centres for seriously ill patients and transform public facilities into temporary treatment centres.

As of Saturday, nine temporary hospitals with more than 6,900 beds were operational, receiving over 5,600Anchor patients with mild symptoms, Wang said.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


China Daily
About the Author: China Daily covers domestic and world news through nine print editions and digital media worldwide.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

China pledges international pandemic aid

 Producers of medical goods urged to meet demand from affected countries. China has pledged to do its best to offer aid to countries and international organisations affected by COVID-19 to help contain the outbreak, and businesses are being urged to boost production of epidemic prevention materials to meet demand from abroad. The announcement was made at a meeting of the leading group of China’s coronavirus response, chaired by Premier Li Keqiang on Thursday. Relevant departments and local authorities must step up co-ordination to closely monitor and analyse the quick spread of the outbreak outside China and roll out more targeted measures to prevent the import and export of infection, the group said in a statement. It is important to further


By China Daily
March 13, 2020

Back to work in Beijing, with tough measures in place

 Mandatory quarantine for those coming from overseas; some Wuhan businesses may reopen. As most of China attempts to return to normalcy after an extensive lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the capital Beijing has been carefully trying to strike a balance between having people restart work while also trying to keep out imported infections, and yesterday ordered a mandatory quarantine for all international arrivals. This comes as the Hubei government announced that some businesses in Wuhan, the outbreak’s epicentre, would gradually be allowed to reopen. On Tuesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping visited Wuhan, his first visit to the city since the outbreak, a sign that the crisis could finally be easing after the government’s toug


By The Straits Times
March 12, 2020

Xi vows victory over coronavirus in Wuhan

President expresses condolences to families of people who died in epidemic. President Xi Jinping said on Tuesday that prevention and control of the novel coronavirus outbreak remains the top priority and most important task, even amid the recent positive signs. Xi, who is also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, made the remark during his inspection tour in the outbreak’s epicentre, Wuhan, capital of Hubei province. The spread of the novel coronavirus has been basically curbed in Hubei and Wuhan, Xi said, adding that initial success has been made in stabilising the situation and turning the tide in Hubei and Wuhan. Xi encouraged local residents and front-line worke


By China Daily
March 11, 2020

China sets example in fighting virus

Epidemic reveals inadequacies in global governance; Beijing says it’s ready to help. China’s response to novel coronavirus pneumonia has set an example for the world in coping with the contagion and offered experience in advancing global public health governance, officials and experts said. The COVID-19 outbreak has also raised the alarm about global public health security and reminded countries that co-operation and co-ordination are needed to deal with challenges as infectious diseases can rapidly escalate into global emergencies, they said. There is a growing positive momentum in epidemic control nationwide thanks to the “comprehensive, thorough and rigorous” measures that China has taken to contain the virus, they said, noting that the daily


By China Daily
March 10, 2020

More than 800,000 people return Beijing under quarantine

“There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. About 827,000 people who came back to Beijing from outside the city are still in a 14-day quarantine to see if they had been infected with the novel coronavirus, an official said on Friday. “There’s still a risk of an outbreak of the disease with people coming to Beijing from other cities and countries,” Zhang Tongjun, deputy head of a group for prevention and control work in the city’s residential communities, said during an afternoon conference. Z


By China Daily
March 9, 2020

South Korea declares third city as special care zone as cases spike

President Moon receives letter of support from North Korean leader as infected cases cross 6,000. South Korea has declared a third city a “special care zone” to boost its capability to fight a spike in coronavirus infections, with cases nationwide soaring beyond 6,000. The death toll stands at 42, mostly the elderly with underlying health conditions, while 88 people have recovered, including 47 discharged yesterday. The care zone announcement came as the presidential Blue House revealed that South Korean President Moon Jae-in received a letter on Wednesday from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expressing support and comfort to the people battling the coronavirus outbreak, adding that he is confident they will “prevail in this fight wit


By The Straits Times
March 6, 2020