See More on Facebook

Indonesia slams Singapore for withholding information on nationals treated for COVID-19

Indonesia complains on Singapore insisting to withhold personal information of its citizens showing COVID-19 symptoms in Jakarta.


Written by

Updated: March 13, 2020

The Indonesian government has complained that Singapore insists on withholding the personal information of several Indonesian citizens believed to have shown COVID-19 symptoms in Jakarta and tested positive for the lethal virus in the city-state.

Jakarta said it was facing difficulties in tracing and isolating those who might have had contact with the patients, now being treated at Singaporean hospitals.

“We have asked for the identities of the Indonesian nationals from Singapore. They did not give us the names. How are we going to conduct the tracing in Indonesia? Singapore is adamant on not disclosing their identities,” the secretary of the Health Ministry’s Disease Control and Prevention Directorate General, Achmad Yurianto, told reporters on Thursday night.

At least five Indonesian nationals tested positive for COVID-19 in Singapore and are being treated at local hospitals. A 64-year-old Indonesian man known as Case 147 arrived in Singapore on March 7 only to be tested positive for the disease the next day.

“He reported an onset of symptoms on March 3 while he was in Indonesia. He had a fever when he arrived at Seletar Airport, and underwent a COVID-19 swab test at the checkpoint. Subsequent test results confirmed COVID-19 infection in the morning of March 8,” Singapore’s Health Ministry said.

On Monday, Singapore reported two more imported cases from Indonesia—a 65-year-old male Indonesian national, identified as Case 152, and a 65-year-old Singaporean national, identified as Case 153, who just visited her sister who had pneumonia in Indonesia.

Case 152 “reported an onset of symptoms on Feb. 28 while he was in Indonesia and had sought treatment at a hospital in Jakarta on March 2. He went to [Singapore General Hospital] on March 7,” the ministry said.

“Case 153 is likely to be an imported case involving a 65-year-old female Singaporean citizen who had been in Indonesia from Feb. 25 to 28. She reported that while she was in Indonesia, she had visited her sister who had pneumonia,” it added.

Even after the three cases grabbed media headlines, Singaporean authorities reported at least three more imported cases from Indonesia, one of whom was a family member of Case 152.

Case 170 is a 56-year-old Indonesian woman who arrived in Singapore on March 9 and tested positive for COVID-19 on March 10. She had reported early symptoms on March 6 in Indonesia prior to her departure. The woman, who is related to Case 152, has since been put in isolation at Singapore General Hospital.

Her departure from Indonesia indicates that the government did nothing to trace those who might have had contact with Case 152.

Case 181 – a 83-year-old Indonesian man – and Case 182 – a 76-year-old Indonesian woman – both arrived in Singapore on March 9 and were both confirmed to have been infected with the novel coronavirus on March 12. They are members of the same family and have since been put under observation at Gleneagles Hospital.

Critics have said that the fact that Indonesia has exported cases shows that the local government is still failing to detect cases and raises concerns that the number of confirmed cases in the country could be much higher than what has been reported.

It may also reflect the low public confidence in the country’s health care system.

The Twitter-based community movement set up to raise awareness on the coronavirus, @KawalCOVID19, writes: “Isn’t the Health Ministry ashamed that an Indonesian national has to migrate to another country to be tested and treated for COVID-19?”

Yurianto, however, dismissed the claim, saying that he believed that the Indonesian nationals treated for COVID-19 in the neighboring country did not contract the virus in Indonesia, or that they might have influenza-like illnesses but still tested negative for coronavirus.

“It is possible that when they sought medication here they were still negative,” he said.

The Singaporean Embassy in Jakarta told The Jakarta Post on Friday that the Singaporean Health Ministry had “a patient confidentiality and privacy policy.”

However, it added that “there are no restrictions for COVID-19 patients from Indonesia or other countries from contacting their embassies. It is up to them to decide whether they want to do so. The Singapore government’s first priority is the well-being of the patients.”

In the wake of the rising number of imported cases in Singapore, the local government issued a policy highlighting the need “to prioritize resources at our public hospitals.”

“From March 7, foreigners who are short-term visit pass holders who seek treatment for COVID-19 in Singapore will need to pay for their treatment,” the nation’s Health Ministry said.

Indonesia, with a population of more than 250 million, has reported 34 confirmed COVID-19 cases, while Singapore, with a population of around 6 million people, has reported more than 180 cases.

While Jakarta has been criticized for its poor handling of the outbreak, Singapore has been lauded for its COVID-19 strategy.



Enjoyed this story? Share it.


The Jakarta Post
About the Author: The Jakarta Post is one of Indonesia's leading English-language daily newspapers.

Eastern Briefings

All you need to know about Asia


Our Eastern Briefings Newsletter presents curated stories from 22 Asian newspapers from South, Southeast and Northeast Asia.

Sign up and stay updated with the latest news.



By providing us with your email address, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

View Today's Newsletter Here

Seoul stocks sink, trigger first circuit breaker for 5 min in 8 years 

The Kospi plummeted more than 5 per cent during Thursday trading, which triggered the stock exchange to temporarily halt trading on Korea’s main bourse, as investor sentiments weighed on the coronavirus pandemic. The Korea Exchange activated a “sidecar,” meaning it temporarily halted the trading of shares, for five minutes around 1:04 p.m. after Kospi 200 index futures slipped over 5 percent. It was the first time the sidecar had been activated for the Kospi since Oct. 4, 2011, when Greece defaulted on its debts. “The temporarily halt trading was due to the plunging of the Kospi 200 index futures. They plummeted from 256.90 points to 243.90 points — down 13 points, or 5.06 percent at that time for over a minute,” a KRX official said. The s


By Asia News Network
March 12, 2020

Final temporary hospital in Wuhan closes its doors

A total of 15 such hospitals, converted from exhibition halls, sports stadiums and warehouses, received more than 12,000 patients. All the 15 temporary hospitals built to exclusively receive novel coronavirus patients in Wuhan, Hubei province, have been closed, with the daily number of reported new cases hitting a record low. Wuchang Temporary Hospital, which was converted from a sports stadium, closed on Tuesday afternoon after its final 49 patients were discharged, making it the last of the temporary hospitals in Wuhan, the centre of the epidemic in China, to close its doors. The hospital, which was converted within two days, received a total of 1,124 patients with mild symptoms of COVID-19 in the 35 days of its operation. No patients died in the hosp


By China Daily
March 11, 2020

Social media curbs removed in Jammu and Kashmir after seven months

 Jammu and Kashmir administration removes restrictions on social media use across Union Territory almost seven months after a communication clampdown since the Centre’s announcement to scrap the special status of the erstwhile state under Article 370 and its bifurcation into two Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh. The Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) administration on Wednesday removed restrictions from social media usage across the Union Territory almost seven months after a communication clampdown on the eve of the Centre’s August 5 announcement to scrap the special status of the erstwhile state under Article 370 and its bifurcation. The directions came after a review of the situation by the J&K Home department. The order, issued without the


By The Island
March 10, 2020

15 Korean pharmas, 4 state institutes research coronavirus

South Korea’s state-run research institutes and pharmaceutical firms are working hard to find a cure for the new coronavirus. South Korea’s state-run research institutes and pharmaceutical firms are working hard to find a cure for the new coronavirus, according to news reports Monday. Around 15 firms and four institutes here are burning the midnight oil to get an effective cure, according to Korea Pharmaceutical and Bio-Pharma Manufacturers Association. KPBMA Chairman Won Hee-mok emphasized the synergies between private and public research bodies in yielding a faster outcome. The association identified Korean companies working on vaccines — including SK Bioscience, GC Pharma, Boryung Biopharma, Sumagen and G+FLAS Life Sciences. T


By Asia News Network
March 9, 2020

‘Incredible India’ now being viewed as intolerant India, says FM Qureshi

 “Modi’s policies are taking a bloody and dangerous turn,” says the foreign minister. Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi on Thursday stated that ‘Incredible India’ is now being viewed as “intolerant India”, and ‘Shining India’ as “burning India”, adding that the country is now facing international scrutiny like never before. The foreign minister expressed these views while speaking at a seminar, organised by the Centre for Aerospace and Security Studies, in Islamabad. During his address, Qureshi stated: “Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s policies are taking a bloody and dangerous turn, as predicted by Prime Minister Imran Khan.” Referring to the country


By Asia News Network
March 6, 2020

Vietnam in control of COVID-19: experts

 Vietnam was in control of the COVID-19 epidemic with no new cases reported since February 13, said experts at a conference on Wednesday in Hanoi. The lockdown on Son Loi Commune – the centre of the epidemic in Vietnam – was officially lifted at midnight on Wednesday. Speaking at the conference, Associate Professor Luong Ngoc Khue, director of the Medical Services Administration under the Ministry of Health, said although no new cases had been detected, medical forces still had to focus on preventive measures with the priority given to early detection and quarantine. Regarding flights from South Korea to Vietnam, Deputy Minister of Transport Le Anh Tuan said that since 6pm on Tuesday, flights had been allowed to land at Van Don Airport in the north


By Viet Nam News
March 5, 2020