December 21, 2022
KUANTAN – Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah has decreed that all flood victims must adhere to the authorities should they be instructed to evacuate to temporary relief centres.
His Majesty also reminded the people residing on the east coast of the peninsula to stay vigilant during this bad weather and not to allow their children to play or go near flood waters.
“I want to advise the people, especially in the flood-hit areas of Pahang, Terengganu and Kelantan, to stay vigilant in this monsoon season.
“I also hope that cleanliness is given priority at all relief centres,” he was quoted by Bernama as saying when visiting flood victims at SK Beserah here yesterday.
He was accompanied by Pahang Regent Tengku Hassanal Ibrahim Alam Shah.
Also present were state social welfare, women, family and community development committee chairman Datuk Sabariah Saidan, state police chief Datuk Seri Ramli Mohamed Yoosuf, Fire and Rescue Department director Datuk Dr Wan Mohammad Zaidi Wan Isa, and Social Welfare Department director Datuk Zulkhairi Zainol Abidin.
In Kuala Terengganu, the refusal of some flood victims to be evacuated to relief centres is posing a challenge to authorities, especially Fire and Rescue Department personnel.
Fire and Rescue Department Fire Safety Division director Datuk Ahmad Izram Osman said it was one of the challenges faced by rescue personnel despite the smooth evacuation and rescue operation so far.
“Although we are used to dealing with such situations, it can be quite a challenge for us during emergencies or disasters such as floods.
“I always remind all fire and rescue personnel that besides physical strength, it is important for them to have the patience to ensure a successful rescue mission,” he said during an evacuation in Kampung Pulau Rusa Hulu on Monday.
Ahmad Izram said although it was not easy to convince some affected residents to evacuate, its personnel remained committed to ensuring everyone’s safety.
“It is a success for us if the flood victims agree to be evacuated … we are doing it simply because we want to prevent any unwanted incident,” he said.
During the operation, Ahmad Izram was seen persuading some flood victims who refused to move although their homes had been inundated to waist level.
Among those who eventually followed the rescue personnel’s advice to move to a relief centre was an elderly woman who only wanted to be known as Nek Mah, 70.
Besides Nek Mah, another 28 victims from 10 families from the village were also evacuated to SK Bukit Losong in the operation that ended past midnight.