August 1, 2023
MANILA — The number of people who died from the combined effects of Typhoon Egay (international name: Doksuri) and the southwest monsoon or “habagat” has climbed to 25, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported on Monday.
In its 8 a.m. situational report, NDRRMC said only two reported deaths were confirmed and 23 others are being validated.
The number of injured remained at 52, and missing at 20.
The agency also monitored an increase in persons affected from 1,029,724 on July 30 to 2,397,336 individuals or 654,837 families on July 31. All were from 4,111 barangays nationwide.
Displaced residents also went up from 30,158 to 312,995 — 50,987 of them are outside evacuation centers (ECs), while 262,008 are currently in ECs located in Regions 1 (Ilocos), 2 (Cagayan Valley), 3 (Central Luzon), Mimaropa (Mindoro Oriental and Occidental, Marinduque, Romblon, and Palawan), Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon) and Region 6 (Western Visayas).
Aside from affected locals and recorded deaths, NDRRMC reported that Egay and the habagat partially destroyed 34,572 houses and severely damaged 1,283 homes.
Moreover, the typhoon left 252 roads, 19 bridges, 112 schools, and six government facilities, with infrastructure damage worth over P3.5 billion.
It added that of 306 cities or municipalities that experienced power outages, 65 percent or 198 areas already had their electricity restored.
NDRRMC said the government has so far distributed P146,687,925 worth of assistance to affected and displaced locals.