June 14, 2023
MANILA, Philippines — Criminal complaints have been filed against 50 police officers who allegedly committed irregularities following the seizure of P6.7 billion worth of crystal meth, locally known as “shabu” in October last year, Interior Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. said in a press conference on Tuesday.
The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the National Police Commission (Napolcom) filed the complaints at the Office of the Ombudsmen last Friday, June 9, for various offenses:
.violation of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act
.violation of the Dangerous Drugs Act
.violations of the Revised Penal Code, specifically for falsification, perjury, and false testimony
.obstruction of justice under Presidential Decree No. 1829
The complaints were filed, Abalos said, based on the results of the investigation conducted by Napolcom and the PNP Special Investigation Task Group (SITG) 990.
“Of these 50 respondents, 48 appeared on the CCTV video, and an additional two officers have been charged on the basis of conspiracy,” Abalos said.
He was referring to a video showing what transpired on the day of Police Master Sgt. Rodolfo Mayo Jr.’s arrest, which he revealed in public last April 10.
“The Napolcom and the SITG have gone through everything — the testimonies, the evidence. They really saw a lot here. The got it all together and will bring them to court,” he added, speaking partly in Filipino.
Administrative cases will also be filed against the 50 officers — including grave misconduct and grave neglect of duty, which are punishable with dismissal from the police service and forfeiture of benefits.