March 2, 2023
ISLAMABAD – Indian billionaire industrialist Mukesh Ambani and actors Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra were the victims of bomb threats on Tuesday. The threat came a day after Ambani was awarded Z-plus security on the on the orders of the Indian Supreme Court.
Mumbai’s Emergency Response Support System (ERSS) received a phone call from an anonymous source after which the the Mumbai Police were informed about the threats in Juhu, Vile-Parle and Gamdevi. The Indian Express quoted a police officer who said the caller claimed that 25 people have been dispersed in Dadar, Mumbai to carry out further attacks. The police are still trying to identify the caller.
In 2021, the Mumbai Police detained three people linked to spreading rumours about bombs at three railway stations and Bachchan’s house.
In November last year, actors Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar and Anupam Kher were given different levels of security due to threats against them. Khan was given Y-plus security while Kumar and Kher received X category of security.
A day before the threatening call, Ambani, who is India’s richest man, was provided with Z-plus security. According to the Hindustan Times, it is the highest level of security given to high-risk individuals in India. It includes 55 personnel, including more than 10 National Security Guard commandos and police personnel.
A Supreme Court bench said on Monday that if there is a serious threat, then Ambani and his family should be provided the highest level Z-plus security, whether in India or abroad. The entire cost of security will be borne by the Ambanis, the court ordered.