March 31, 2022
MANILA— Two more elderly Filipinos were the latest victims of attacks against members of the Filipino community in New York City, bringing to 34 the number of hate incidents against Filipinos in the city since last year, the Philippine Consulate General there said Wednesday.
“The Philippine Consulate General in New York condemns in the strongest terms the latest attacks against members of the Filipino Community after two more kababayan have been added to the growing list of victims of the senseless violence that has left many Filipinos in fear,” the consulate said in a statement.
A 73-year-old Filipino was reportedly “assaulted by a homeless individual” while on his way to church in Manhattan on Sunday, the consulate said.
On Monday, a 53-year-old Filipino “was beaten unconscious and robbed by another homeless individual” at a fast food store on 7th Avenue near 34th Street, according to the consulate.
“The incidents in Manhattan bring to seven the number of cases involving members [of] the Filipino Community reported to or monitored by the Philippine Consulate General in New York this year,” the consulate said.
“The assaults, which follow the brutal attack against a 67-year-old Filipino woman in Yonkers, New York, two weeks ago, bring to 34 the number of anti-Asian hate incidents and criminal violence involving Filipinos since last year,” it added.
The consulate reiterated their reminder to Filipinos in New York to exercise vigilance “at all times” and to take the necessary precautions, especially when in public.
“The Consulate again calls on authorities to do more to make sure that New York City is safe again for everyone by removing dangerous individuals, especially those with criminal records, from the streets and addressing concerns related to homelessness and mental health,” the consulate said.
A “Stop Asian hate” sign displayed at the Philippine Consulate General in midtown Manhattan. Photo courtesy of Philippine Consul General Elmer Cato