Destructive floods strike again in Malaysia

Water rose as high as 2m in Jalan Kuchai Lama, leaving cars stranded with some having to escape to the roof of their vehicles.

Farik Zolkepli, Justin Zack, Jarod Lim and Farid Wahab

Farik Zolkepli, Justin Zack, Jarod Lim and Farid Wahab

The Star


KUALA LUMPUR, 7 Mac -- Keadaan kenderaan orang awam yang ditenggelami air akibat banjir kilat susulan hujan lebat petang ini sekitar Jalan Kia Peng berdekatan Pusat Konvensyen Kuala Lumpur hari ini. --fotoBERNAMA (2022) HAK CIPTA TERPELIHARA

March 8, 2022

KUALA LUMPUR – Flash floods left a trail of destruction in the city and parts of Selangor after heavy downpours in the afternoon.

Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said he was informed six areas in the city were affected.

“The relevant ministries and agencies have taken immediate action to ensure the safety of Keluarga Malaysia. Please drive carefully in the rain and, if possible, avoid flooded areas,” he said on Facebook and Twitter.

The Prime Minister also uploaded several pictures of rescue operations by various authorities.

The National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma), in a Facebook post, noted that areas in the city centre including Jalan Sultan Ismail, Jalan Ampang, Jalan Leboh Ampang, Jalan Raja Laut, Jalan Kia Peng and Jalan Raja Chulan were inundated yesterday.

It also pointed out that the Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) had issued a thunderstorm warning at 1.35pm.

“It had forecast heavy rains and strong winds in Kuala Selangor, Hulu Selangor, Klang, Gombak, Petaling, Kuala Langat, Hulu Langat and Sepang,” it added.

Tenaga National Bhd was forced to shut off the electricity supply to some 40 substations around Klang Valley due to the heavy deluge.

This was done to ensure the safety of its users in affected areas, it said on its Facebook page.

Water rose as high as 2m in Jalan Kuchai Lama, leaving 12 cars stranded with some drivers having to escape to the roof of their vehicles.

“All victims affected were rescued and brought to a safe location,” the City Fire and Rescue Department said in a statement.

Brickfields OCPD Asst Comm Amihizam Abdul Shukor said a police patrol car was swept away by floodwaters in Kuchai Lama.

He said the vehicle was parked at a police beat base at about 3.30pm, as the two policemen wanted to perform their prayers.

“However, heavy rain and storm resulted in a flood.

“They tried to get out of the area but the vehicle was submerged up to tyres. Both managed to get away safely,” he said.

ACP Amihizam said the vehicle was later brought to the Brickfields police headquarters once the water had receded.

Cheras OCPD Asst Comm Muhammad Idzam Jaafar said floods affected several areas including Sunway Velocity Mall, Jalan Tasek Selatan, Kesas Highway (near Awan Naik), the Bukit Jalil police station, Jalan Chan Sow Lin, Salak Selatan, Bukit Jalil Highway and MRR2 near Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS).

He said four trees fell on 24 vehicles parked outside Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre (HCTM).

Forty children and their teachers had to be rescued by firemen from a childcare centre along Jalan Cheras Batu 2 1/2.

Firefighters also evacuated 100 people in the Kampung Pasir area in Kuala Lumpur.

In Selangor, state Fire and Rescue Department director Norazam Khamis said floods had been reported in Sungai Buloh and Kampung Gombak.

“So far, reports have come from Bandar Baru Sungai Buloh and Kampung Gombak, Kampung Melayu and Kampung Melayu in Batu Arang,” he said.

Meanwhile, thousands of motorists were gridlocked in the Klang Valley. Normahizan Kasim, 62, who was driving home to Setiawangsa from Cyberjaya, decided to turn back after reaching Bukit Jalil via the Maju Expressway.

“I was unaware that floodwaters were rising everywhere until my son called, telling me to stay put until the water recedes,” she said.

Auditor Siti Nur Ain Zainal, 29, said she decided to leave her office in Shah Alam later than usual to avoid the traffic and floods.

“I took the Elite highway instead of my usual route via the Federal Highway to go back to my home in Semenyih,” she said.

Hafiz Abdullah, 34, who was driving home to Ukay Perdana from Taman Melawati, was shocked to see roads flooded up to the curbs.

“Everyone was driving slowly to prevent getting stuck in the water,” he said, while expressing frustration at the frequent floods.

Videos and photos emerged yesterday on social media showing flooded roads in the city yesterday.

The Integrated Transport Information System, in a statement on its official Facebook page, said the Smart tunnel was closed for flood operations.

In Pudu, a dried goods store sales manager Teryne Lee, 38, said water flooded the porch around 3pm.

“This is the worst flood I have faced after more than 10 years here. The authorities should check on the the drainage system here,” she said.

scroll to top