December 19, 2022
KUALA LUMPUR – The flood situation in Kelantan, Terengganu and Perak has worsened due to continuous rain with more victims evacuated to relief centres.
According to the Malaysian Meteorological Department, it issued a danger-level weather alert with continuous heavy rain expected to occur across Terengganu and some areas in Kelantan until tomorrow.
Severe-level continuous heavy rain is expected to occur in several areas in Kedah, Kelantan, Perak and Pahang during the same period while an alert-level continuous rain notice has been issued for Perlis, Penang and several areas in Kedah, Perak and Johor.
In Jertih, floods in Terengganu have claimed its first victim, a two-year-old girl in Kampung Apal.
Terengganu police chief Datuk Rohaimi Md Isa said Nur Hilwa Idris Mohd Haris Zaifan was found floating in a ditch about 20m from her house where she was believed to have fallen at 3.40pm.
“The incident is said to have happened when the victim’s aunt who was at home was getting ready to evacuate to the temporary relief centre as floodwaters were rising before she discovered that the girl had left by herself through the kitchen door.
“The victim is believed to have been swept away by floodwaters,” he said in a statement, adding that her body had been taken to Besut Hospital for further action.
Rohaimi reminded the public to be more alert and cautious during this north-east monsoon period, adding that parents and guardians should ensure their children’s safety during the flood season.
In Kelantan, the number of flood victims increased to 3,320 people from 975 families and seeking temporary shelter at 32 relief centres in Kota Baru, Pasir Mas, Tanah Merah, Pasir Puteh, Kuala Krai, Machang and Jeli.
According to the Public InfoBanjir portal at https://publicinfobanjir.water.gov.my/, river water in four areas in the state had exceeded the danger level – Sungai Lebir in Kampung Tualang, Kuala Krai with a reading of 35.37m; Sungai Lanas near Jeli (29.74m); Sungai Golok in Kampung Jenob, Tanah Merah (25.21m); and Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang, Pasir Mas (9.64m), Bernama reported.
In Terengganu, the number of flood-affected residents at relief centres increased to 1,866 people from 512 families.
According to a statement from the state Disaster Management Committee secretariat, 38 relief centres have been opened in six districts, namely one in Kuala Terengganu, Dungun (two), five each in Setiu and Kemaman, Hulu Terengganu (12) and Besut (13).
A total of 13 people from three families were affected in Kuala Terengganu; Setiu (196 people from 67 families), Dungun (19 people from four families), Kemaman (459 people from 107 families), Besut (718 people from 188 families) and Hulu Terengganu (461 people from 143 families).
Separately, the Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) warned that several areas in Kuala Terengganu, Besut, Setiu, Hulu Terengganu, Dungun and Kemaman were expected to be flooded based on its flood forecasting model.
In Perak, a total of 47 victims from 15 families were housed in two relief centres – SM Abdul Rahman Talib in Batu 4 and SK Sungai Tiang Darat.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, when met at SK Sungai Tiang Darat, said pumps would be built and installed in nine locations in Bagan Datuk as suggested by the district disaster committee to resolve the flood problem.
A flood victim at the relief centre, who declined to be identified, said she hoped to be able to return home after having to spend several nights there with her children.
In Johor, the number of flood victims in Segamat remains at 75 from 21 families placed in three relief centres – Kampung Batu Badak community hall (34 people), Kampung Kuala Paya community hall (27) and Kampung Tasek community hall (14).
All the victims were from Kampung Seberang Batu Badak, Kampung Batu 5 and Kampung Kuala Paya. The river water at Sungai Muar (Buloh Kasap) in Segamat was at a warning level with a height of 8.91m.