November 22, 2022
KHANH HOA — A six-year-old child has died after contracting food poisoning along with more than 600 other students at a school in Nha Trang.
The child died en route to HCMC Children’s Hospital No.2 on Sunday.
“The Khánh Hoà People’s Committee has asked Nha Trang City officials to visit and support the family of the victim,” Nguyễn Thanh Hà, Chief of Staff of the Khánh Hoà People’s Committee, said in a meeting with parents. “The school have also visited the deceased student’s family.”
More than 600 students from iSchool Nha Trang were hospitalised across the province after eating lunch at school on November 17. Of them, 266 are still in hospital, with 21 in critical condition.
The lunch consisted of rice, boiled chicken, vegetables and a sauce made from egg and cooking oil. After eating it, many iSchool Nha Trang students began displaying food poisoning symptoms, including fever, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
Phạm Hữu Bình, Principal of iSchool Nha Trang, has said the school is committed to paying students’ medical bills and providing the best treatment for them until all students return to full health.
The Khánh Hoà Department of Education and Training also apologised to parents in the meeting.
The Việt Nam Food Safety Authority (VFA) has ordered the Khánh Hoà Department of Health to cease activity at the school’s kitchen for investigation.
Food samples have been sent to Nha Trang’s Pasteur Insititute for research and incubation to identify the bacteria and the toxins behind the poisoning.
The results are expected on Wednesday.
The Khánh Hoà People’s Committee said that investigations are ongoing and violations will be strictly punished should they be found.