August 29, 2025
PHNOM PENH – The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has rejected Thai accusations that Cambodia used private citizens as human shields in Banteay Meanchey province’s ChokChey village, noting that the people involved in a recent confrontation with Thai soldiers were long-term local residents.
The ministry explained that the showdown was unplanned.
“On the contrary, it occurred when local people grew frustrated with Thai efforts to deny them access to their homes and rice fields through the installation of razor wire barricades,” explained ministry spokesperson Chum Sounry.
On August 25, hundreds of villagers in Chok Chey village destroyed razor wire barricades that had been placed by Thai soldiers on the same day. They also blocked a group from laying further rolls of razor wire.
Despite this, barriers that were placed earlier, in the village where the people have lived for decades, remain.
Following the incident, Thai foreign ministry spokesperson Nikorndej Balankura accused Cambodia of using the villagers as “human shields” to take Thai territory, and said that Thailand had taken the case to the UN.
While Cambodian officials explained that the local people were merely trying to protect their homes and land from being taken from them by force, Balankura accused Cambodia of “exploitation of children on the landmines issue, the use of civilian community areas for military purposes, and instances in which women, children and the elderly were placed at the frontlines”.
In late 1979 until the early 90s, the area in dispute was a refugee camp where Cambodians fleeing the war took shelter. Many Cambodian who had been at the camp noted that at the time, it was considered Cambodian territory, while Thailand claim it is theirs and that they plan to evict the approximately 200 Cambodian families who call it home.
“Cambodia firmly rejects the allegation that Cambodia used civilians as human shield. Such accusations are unfounded and misrepresent the reality on the ground, where long-term Cambodian civilians were in fact the victims of unilateral military action, including the laying of razor wire and barricades that prevent them from accessing their homes and farmland,” Sounry said.
The area is shaping up as another flashpoint of the border dispute, thanks to both nations’ contrary claims.
Thai officials said this week that they will take over the location after a two-month deadline, while acting Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai suggested that the fence should only be erected after everything is resolved by both sides.