Two Indian nationals arrested on murder charges in Bali

The two foreigners had been staying at the victim’s house at his invitation since May 10.

Ni Komang Erviani

Ni Komang Erviani

The Jakarta Post


Police officers walk murder suspects Gurmej Singh (left) and Ajaypal Singh at the Denpasar Police headquarters in Denpasar, Bali, on May 16, 2023.(JP/Ni Komang Erviani)

May 19, 2023

BALI – The Denpasar Police have arrested two Indian nationals on charges of murdering an Indonesian man and assaulting another Indian national on Saturday. The suspects were apprehended at Ngurah Rai International Airport as they were apparently trying to flee the country.

The two 21-year-old suspects allegedly murdered a 39-year-old Indonesian national following a series altercations at the victim’s house on Jl. Tukad Bilok in Sanur Kauh.

The two foreigners had been staying at the victim’s house at his invitation since May 10.

On Saturday, nearby residents found a 40-year-old Indian national bleeding in front of the house. They then found the Indonesian victim dead on the floor of the house.

Residents reported the incident to the authorities, who apprehended the suspects several hours later at the airport.

“We are still investigating the motive for the incident,” said Denpasar Police chief Sr. Comr. Bambang Yugo Pamungkas. “The initial investigation found that it happened when they were playing a gambling card game and started mocking each other.”

The suspects were charged with murder and assault under Articles 338 and 351 of the Criminal Code, respectively. If found guilty, they face a maximum of 15 years in prison.

On April 5, local police arrested a United States national after he allegedly assaulted an employee and damaged property at a café in Denpasar.

Denpasar Police said the 37-year-old American had attacked a female employee with a knife.

“We received information that several other people also sustained minor injuries,” a police spokesperson said.

The man was reportedly at Diamond Café on Jl. Tukad Badung at around 11 p.m. on April and was served by an Indonesian waitress.

Around half an hour later, he allegedly took out a folding knife from his pocket, threatened the waitress not to leave him and cut the woman’s left foot. The woman fled and sought help from the other employees.

The suspect then, according to eyewitness accounts, chased after the woman, went on a rampage and was arrested shortly thereafter. The police said he was very drunk.

Officers confiscated a folding knife and a combat knife from the US national. He could face a maximum 12 years in prison for assault under the Criminal Code and could also face charges under the 1951 Emergency Law for unlawful possession of a sharp weapon, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison. (dre)

scroll to top