December 16, 2022
KUALA LUMPUR – All existing aid and incentives extended to flood victims will continue, including the Bantuan Wang Ihsan of RM1,000 to each household, assures the Deputy Prime Minister.
Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the aid would only be given to registered and eligible flood victims.
“This payment will be made before the flood recedes and (before) the victims return to their respective homes,” he said after visiting flood victims at SK Gual Tok Deh yesterday.
He said based on past experience, authorities found that the number of registered flood victims and applicants did not tally.
Ahmad Zahid said the government, together with the implementing agencies, would continue to take proactive measures to ensure aid would be channelled smoothly and in an orderly manner.
The previous government, under Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, announced that the government would contribute RM10,000 to each household affected by floods in Terengganu and Kelantan.
Ismail Sabri then said the aid would include RM2,500 for the purchase of essential goods, a discount for vehicle repair, RM500 rebate for purchase of electrical appliances and repair of houses damaged by the floods.
Ahmad Zahid said the government was also committed to continuing projects that had been approved by the previous administration such as flood mitigation.
“During the special Parliament session on Dec 19, the government will table the emoluments and expenses for ongoing projects,” Bernama reported him as saying.
The Deputy Prime Minister also announced an immediate allocation of RM12mil to provide six units of high-powered portable pumps to resolve stagnant floodwaters in Pasir Mas.
He said the pumps, each costing RM2mil, would be used to drain floodwaters into Sungai Golok.
“The master plan for Kelantan involves a cost of RM2.1bil and as a short-term solution, the government has approved an immediate allocation to provide portable pumps on a government-to-government basis,” he said.